Reactions at beam ends when varying load position - clearing doubts

In summary, the calculations show that the distance from the COM of the beam to the point of attachment of the weight is affected by the angle of tilt.
kirakun

Homework Statement

Well actually we were doing a beam experiment in class. It consisted of varying the position of a load and measuring the reactions to eventually analyse the relationship between the distance of load from 1 support with the 2 reactions.

The reactions were provided by two spring balances acting as supports and the readings were noted (In the diagrams I put the spring balance reactions as VA and VB respectively)

My confusion:

As we moved the position of the load, the beam started to incline, we were told to make the beam horizontal before taking any readings. I did not understand why and I still don't. So i decided to make calculations to see if re-aligning was necessary.

Please take a look at the calculations

Eventually i end up with VA and VB being identical in magnitudes.
So i conclude that whether the beam is inclined or not, the readings should have been the same.

However the readings when the beam is inclined and when it is not were not the same.
My understanding is that the springs extended more during inclination and lead to change in readings.
However I think that if we had inclined all the beams by the same angle and varied the load positions, the trend compared with those when the beam was kept horizontal would have been the same.

I would be grateful if you guys could help me out.
Thank you for your time and patience.

Attachments

• Not inclined beam.jpg
    Not inclined beam.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 630
  • Inclined beam.jpg
    Inclined beam.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,427
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the idealised diagrams you posted, you are correct that it should not make any difference. But I wonder whether in practice the attachment points and the centre of mass of the beam were not all in a straight line. Any vertical displacement will start to matter when inclined.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
In the idealised diagrams you posted, you are correct that it should not make any difference. But I wonder whether in practice the attachment points and the centre of mass of the beam were not all in a straight line. Any vertical displacement will start to matter when inclined.

Could you elaborate some more please, I do not understand where u say "the attachment points and the centre of mass of the beam were not all in a straight line"

Even if the there were vertical displacements of the loads, wouldn't the lines of action of the loads still be the same?

Thanks for replying.

kirakun said:
Could you elaborate some more please, I do not understand where u say "the attachment points and the centre of mass of the beam were not all in a straight line"

Even if the there were vertical displacements of the loads, wouldn't the lines of action of the loads still be the same?

Thanks for replying.

Suppose the beam has vertical thickness 2h and a weight is suspended from the top edge of the beam at distance x to the right of the beam's COM. If the beam is now tilted at angle theta to the right, the horizontal distance from the beam's COM to the point of attachment of the weight is x cos(θ) + h sin(θ).

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Suppose the beam has vertical thickness 2h and a weight is suspended from the top edge of the beam at distance x to the right of the beam's COM. If the beam is now tilted at angle theta to the right, the horizontal distance from the beam's COM to the point of attachment of the weight is x cos(θ) + h sin(θ).

Ohh, now i see. Hmm yes indeed, i did not take the thickness into consideration.
:)

Related to Reactions at beam ends when varying load position - clearing doubts

1. What is a beam end reaction?

A beam end reaction is the force or moment that is exerted on a beam at the point where it is supported or connected. This reaction is a result of the external loads applied to the beam, and it helps to keep the beam stable and in equilibrium.

2. How does varying the load position affect the beam end reaction?

Varying the load position on a beam can significantly impact the beam end reaction. As the load is moved closer to the support, the reaction at that support will increase, and the reaction at the other end will decrease. This is because the load is now closer to the support, creating a greater moment arm and increasing the force or moment at that point.

3. What is the difference between a fixed support and a pinned support?

A fixed support is a type of support that prevents both translation and rotation at the point where the beam is connected. This means that the beam is completely fixed at that point and cannot move or rotate. On the other hand, a pinned support only prevents translation at the point of connection, allowing the beam to rotate freely.

4. How do I calculate the reactions at beam ends when the load is not positioned symmetrically?

When the load is not positioned symmetrically on a beam, the reactions at the beam ends can be calculated using the principle of moments. This involves taking moments about one of the supports and setting it equal to zero, which will give you the reaction at the other support.

5. Can I determine the reactions at beam ends using a free body diagram?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to determine the reactions at beam ends. It involves drawing a simplified diagram of the beam with all the external loads and reactions acting on it. By applying the equations of equilibrium, the reactions at the beam ends can be calculated.