Reaction forces on simple 2 strut truss

In summary: If the two supports are indeed fixed, then the struts are statically indeterminate, and the equilibrium equations alone are insufficient to determine the reactions.
James C

Homework Statement

Calculate reaction forces R1x, R1y, R2x, R2y. Load of 100N. Node 1 and 2 are fixed. Distances listed on image.

6X8ka4i.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
I have:
∑Fx = 0 = R1x + R2x
∑Fy = 100 = R1y + R2y

∑M2 = 0 = (-100 x 0.1) + R1 x 0.06 + R1y x 0.02
∑M1 = 0 = (-100 x 0.04) + (-R2x x 0.06) + (-R2y x 0.02)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this equations I have tried to solve using matrices but I get a number error in Excel. Could someone please help clarify if I've made a mistake or why this can't be solved?

Thank you

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps too obvious to be the problem but I assume you mean...

∑M2 = 0 = (-100 x 0.1) + R1x x 0.06 + R1y x 0.02

James C said:

Homework Statement

Calculate reaction forces R1x, R1y, R2x, R2y. Load of 100N. Node 1 and 2 are fixed. Distances listed on image.

{See image in OP.}

Homework Equations

[/B]
I have:
∑Fx = 0 = R1x + R2x
∑Fy = 100 = R1y + R2y

∑M2 = 0 = (-100 x 0.1) + R1 x 0.06 + R1y x 0.02
∑M1 = 0 = (-100 x 0.04) + (-R2x x 0.06) + (-R2y x 0.02)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this equations I have tried to solve using matrices but I get a number error in Excel. Could someone please help clarify if I've made a mistake or why this can't be solved?

Thank you
For static equilibrium, you can write one force equation and one moment equation. You should pick either support #1 or support #2 as the reference for you moment equation and solve for the remaining unknowns.

The OP said the connections at support Nos. 1 and 2 were "fixed", but your equations assume each is a pinned connection, which cannot develop a moment reaction.

SteamKing said:
For static equilibrium, you can write one force equation and one moment equation. You should pick either support #1 or support #2 as the reference for you moment equation and solve for the remaining unknowns.

The OP said the connections at support Nos. 1 and 2 were "fixed", but your equations assume each is a pinned connection, which cannot develop a moment reaction.

Thank you for your response SteamKing. You are correct that the supports should be fixed instead of pinned. How could I go about solving the 4 variables in this instance? You're saying I can write one force and one moment but then I have 4 unknowns and 2 equations don't I?

CWatters said:
Perhaps too obvious to be the problem but I assume you mean...

∑M2 = 0 = (-100 x 0.1) + R1x x 0.06 + R1y x 0.02

Haha yes sorry it should be R1x

James C said:
Thank you for your response SteamKing. You are correct that the supports should be fixed instead of pinned. How could I go about solving the 4 variables in this instance? You're saying I can write one force and one moment but then I have 4 unknowns and 2 equations don't I?

If the two supports are indeed fixed, then the struts are statically indeterminate, and the equilibrium equations alone are insufficient to determine the reactions. You have to develop additional equations based on the deflections of the members.

I see, thank you for your response!

Related to Reaction forces on simple 2 strut truss

1. What is a simple 2 strut truss?

A simple 2 strut truss is a type of structural framework commonly used in engineering and architecture. It consists of two straight members (struts) connected at their ends by joints (nodes) to form a stable and strong structure.

2. What are reaction forces on a simple 2 strut truss?

Reaction forces refer to the forces that are exerted on a structure at its support points or joints. In a simple 2 strut truss, there are two types of reaction forces: the axial forces acting along the length of the struts and the shear forces acting perpendicular to the struts at the joints. These reaction forces are essential in determining the stability and strength of the truss.

3. How are reaction forces calculated on a simple 2 strut truss?

The calculation of reaction forces on a simple 2 strut truss involves applying the principles of statics, specifically the equations of equilibrium. The axial and shear forces can be determined by considering the external loads acting on the truss and the geometry of the truss itself.

4. What factors affect the reaction forces on a simple 2 strut truss?

The reaction forces on a simple 2 strut truss are influenced by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of external loads, the length and orientation of the struts, and the stiffness of the truss members. Additionally, the type of support at the truss joints can also affect the reaction forces.

5. How are reaction forces used in the design of a simple 2 strut truss?

Reaction forces play a crucial role in the design of a simple 2 strut truss. By analyzing the magnitude and direction of these forces, engineers can determine the appropriate size and shape of the truss members to ensure the stability and strength of the structure. The reaction forces also help in identifying potential failure points and informing necessary design modifications.