Reaction forces on a structure

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve Problem 4.36, which involves determining the direction of reaction forces at different points. The solution involves using moments of force and considering the fact that force E has a roller and can only have a reaction force in one direction.
member 392791

Homework Statement

Problem 4.36
http://xps2pdf.co.uk/4c82ad8dcb91d5507169e0a18804ea30bf81d592/4.36.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly..there is a lot of information that I am not using to solve the problem (i.e. all the different distances, as well as the 30°. When determining the direction of a reaction force (Say A for example) do I just pick an arbitrary direction and if it comes out negative I know it's direction is opposite of what I put it as? I chose the moment at point A because I knew the moments of force A would be zero, leaving me with only the applied force and force E, which has a roller on it so it can only have a reaction force in one direction.

Attachments

• 4.36 attempt 1.pdf
    196.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't open the first file, but based on your work:
Woopydalan said:

Homework Statement

Problem 4.36
http://xps2pdf.co.uk/4c82ad8dcb91d5507169e0a18804ea30bf81d592/4.36.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly..
looks good
there is a lot of information that I am not using to solve the problem (i.e. all the different distances, as well as the 30°.
you don't need them if you are just looking for reactions
When determining the direction of a reaction force (Say A for example) do I just pick an arbitrary direction and if it comes out negative I know it's direction is opposite of what I put it as?
yes
I chose the moment at point A because I knew the moments of force A would be zero, leaving me with only the applied force and force E, which has a roller on it so it can only have a reaction force in one direction.
good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

Related to Reaction forces on a structure

1. What are reaction forces on a structure?

Reaction forces on a structure are the forces that act on a structure to keep it in equilibrium. These forces are equal and opposite to the external forces acting on the structure, and are necessary for the structure to remain stable and not collapse.

2. How are reaction forces calculated on a structure?

Reaction forces can be calculated using Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the sum of all external forces acting on a structure must be equal to the sum of the reaction forces to maintain equilibrium.

3. What are the types of reaction forces on a structure?

The two main types of reaction forces on a structure are support reactions and constraint reactions. Support reactions occur at the points where a structure is supported, such as at its base or at a joint. Constraint reactions occur at fixed points where a structure is connected to other structures, such as in a truss system.

4. How do reaction forces affect the stability of a structure?

Reaction forces play a crucial role in maintaining the stability of a structure. If the reaction forces are not equal and opposite to the external forces, the structure will become unbalanced and may collapse. Additionally, if the reaction forces exceed the maximum load-bearing capacity of the structure, it may also collapse.

5. Can reaction forces be reduced on a structure?

Reaction forces can be reduced on a structure by adjusting the design and adding additional supports or constraints. By distributing the load evenly across the structure, the reaction forces can be reduced. It is important to carefully consider and calculate the reaction forces on a structure during the design process to ensure its stability and safety.