React with Br2 & I2 Higher Question

• Thread starter CheesyPeeps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, Reacting with Br2 and I2 involves a substitution reaction that is different from other types of reactions. Its purpose is to test for the presence of alcohols in a compound. The reaction occurs through halogenation, and it can detect primary and secondary alcohols in organic compounds. Safety precautions should be taken when performing this reaction due to the toxicity and corrosiveness of Br2 and I2.
CheesyPeeps

Homework Statement

Which of the following will react with Br2 but not with I2?
A OH−
B SO3 2−
C Fe2+
D Mn2+

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given in the marking scheme is C, and I can't figure out how to come to that conclusion. Is it something to do with electronegativity? London dispersion forces? My exam is tomorrow morning and I'm freaking out about this just a little...!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redox potentials.

Borek said:
Redox potentials.

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you very much :smile:

Related to React with Br2 & I2 Higher Question

1. How does React with Br2 & I2 Higher Question differ from other chemical reactions?

Reacting with Br2 and I2 involves a substitution reaction, where bromine (Br2) and iodine (I2) atoms replace other atoms in a compound. This is different from other types of reactions, such as addition or decomposition, which involve different chemical changes.

2. What is the purpose of React with Br2 & I2 Higher Question?

This reaction is commonly used to test for the presence of alcohols in a compound. Alcohols will react with Br2 and I2, forming a cloudy mixture, while other compounds will not produce this result.

3. How does the reaction between Br2 & I2 work?

The reaction between Br2 and I2 occurs through a process called halogenation, where the halogen atoms (Br and I) break the bonds between other atoms in a compound and form new bonds with the halogen. This results in a new compound being formed.

4. What types of compounds can React with Br2 & I2 Higher Question detect?

This reaction is particularly useful for detecting the presence of primary and secondary alcohols in organic compounds. It can also be used to differentiate between primary, secondary, and tertiary alcohols.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when performing React with Br2 & I2 Higher Question?

As with any chemical reaction, it is important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear. Br2 and I2 are both toxic and corrosive, so it is important to handle them with care and in a well-ventilated area.