Reaching any point mass configuration by internal forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using only internal forces between N unique point masses to reach any configuration of the points. It is pointed out that this is not true in general, as certain configurations such as three masses on a line or two masses orbiting each other cannot be achieved with only internal forces. However, it is suggested that with the ability to control the forces between particles, there may be a way to reach "most" configurations. Additionally, it is noted that Newtonian mechanics is deterministic and with specified initial conditions, there will only be one path of evolution for the system, taking into account rotations and translations.
uekstrom
If we have N unique point masses, is it possible to use only internal forces (i.e. forces between each pair of masses) to reach any configuration of the points (modulo rotations and translations)?

I assume this is well known, but don't know where to find a proof. Perhaps by induction from N=2 where it's obvious? Or of it's not true, I would like to find a counter example for some low N.

Edit: Ok, now I see that it cannot be true in general, for example three masses on a line can never leave the linear configuration. But is it true for "most" configurations?

Physics news on Phys.org
As internal forces cannot produce a net force on the center of mass, you cannot create any center of mass accelerations due to internal forces.

Another counter example is that N=2 masses orbiting each other necessarily orbit in a plane to conserve angular momentum. Therefore, they cannot move out of the plane of orbit.

In fact, Newtonian mechanics is deterministic, and with any specified set of initial conditions (6N conditions for 6 degrees of freedom for each particle) the system will only have necessarily 1 path of evolution.

That's why I wrote 'modulo rotations and translations', I consider two positional configurations equivalent if they can be translated and rotated into each other.

Edit: I should perhaps clarify that there is some means of controlling the forces between the particles, i.e. the particles can be spaceships connected by rods or something.

Related to Reaching any point mass configuration by internal forces

1. How is it possible to reach any point mass configuration using internal forces?

The process of reaching any point mass configuration using internal forces involves the application of forces within a system or structure that are strong enough to overcome the forces of gravity and other external forces. By carefully balancing and adjusting these internal forces, a desired point mass configuration can be achieved.

2. What types of internal forces are involved in reaching a point mass configuration?

Internal forces can include tension, compression, shear, and bending forces that act within a structure. These forces can be generated through the use of physical components such as cables, rods, or beams, or through the transfer of energy within a system.

3. Are there limits to the types of configurations that can be reached using internal forces?

While internal forces can be powerful and effective in achieving a wide range of point mass configurations, there are limits to what can be achieved. These limits may be influenced by factors such as the strength and stability of the materials used, the overall design of the structure, and the laws of physics.

4. How is the concept of equilibrium related to reaching a point mass configuration with internal forces?

The concept of equilibrium is essential in understanding how internal forces can be used to reach a desired point mass configuration. A system is said to be in equilibrium when all of the forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net force. By carefully balancing internal forces, a system can be brought into equilibrium and a desired configuration can be achieved.

5. What are some real-world applications of reaching point mass configurations with internal forces?

The concept of reaching point mass configurations with internal forces has numerous applications in the fields of engineering, architecture, and physics. Some examples include the construction of bridges, the design of skyscrapers, and the development of advanced machinery and equipment. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the structural stability of natural phenomena such as rock formations and biological structures.