Rational exponents expressed as fractions

In summary: Thank you for the help :)In summary, the fractions are used as exponents in the given expressions, and the first step is to multiply the constants and then combine the powers if they have the same base. The final answer can be simplified if possible. It is also recommended to review adding and subtracting fractions for better understanding of these types of problems.
CSmith1
can someone help me

(4a 3/2)(2a1\2)

(3x5/6)(8x2/3)

(27a6)-2/3

the fractions are powers

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
CSmith said:
can someone help me (4a 3/2)(2a1\2)

(3x5/6)(8x2/3)

(27a6)-2/3

Hi CSmith. We'll be glad to help but you need to try to be more precise with your notation. For example, what does (4a 3/2)(2a1\2) mean?

Is it \(\displaystyle \left(4a \cdot \frac{3}{2} \right) \left(2a \cdot \frac{1}{2} \right)\)?

they are thge exponents the fractions.written on top of 4a etc...

CSmith said:
can someone help me

(4a 3/2)(2a1\2)

(3x5/6)(8x2/3)

(27a6)-2/3

the fractions are powers

If the fractions are powers then let's look at the first one.

\(\displaystyle 4a^{\frac{3}{2}} \cdot 2a^{\frac{1}{2}}\)

What you need to do is multiply the constants together and then combine the powers somehow. Here's the trick. If you have \(\displaystyle a^{x} \cdot a^{y}=a^{x+y}\). So when you multiply things in this situation you can add the powers if they have the same base.

What do you get when you try that?

Until you learn how to use Latex on our site I suggest using the ^ sign to indicate exponents. :)

would it6 ,^3+1=6^4.

CSmith said:
would it6 ,^3+1=6^4.

No, the "a" variable disappeared in your answer. It will still be there! :)

The answer is \(\displaystyle 8a^{2}\) because of the constants, 4*2=8, and when you add the powers you get \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}=\frac{4}{2}=2\). So once again you multiply the constants and add the powers when they have the same base. In this case the base was "a".

Does that make sense?

EDIT: Just to make sure the steps are easy to follow, \(\displaystyle 4a^{\frac{3}{2}} \cdot 2a^{\frac{1}{2}} = 8a^{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}}=8a^{\frac{4}{2}}=8a^2\)

Last edited:
ok thanks

if i have (3x5 ^5/6) (8x^2/3)would it be 11x how would i work out the 5/6 and the 2/3 in this

CSmith said:
ok thanks

if i have (3x5 ^5/6) (8x^2/3)would it be 11x how would i work out the 5/6 and the 2/3 in this

I can't figure out your notation. Does (3x5 ^5/6) mean \(\displaystyle 3x^{\frac{5}{6}}\)? Please put exponents in parentheses like this: x^(5/6).

I'm assuming that (8x^2/3) means \(\displaystyle 8x^{\frac{2}{3}}\)

Yes

Ok, so you have \(\displaystyle 3x^{\frac{5}{6}} \cdot 8x^{\frac{2}{3}}\). This is exactly the same situation as the one I've done for you. You first look at the constants (3 and 8) and multiply them together. Then you look at the variable, "x", and the powers. Since they both have the same base then you just add the powers together like I did in the problem I solved for you. What do you get when you try that?

ok i got -24x and the base is 6 and 3 right

CSmith said:
ok i got -24x and the base is 6 and 3 right

Why -24? Yes the constants multiply together to get 8*3=24.

If you have an exponent in the form of \(\displaystyle x^{a}\), x is the base and a is the exponent. When you multiply two things with the same base, x in this case, you add the exponents together. For example \(\displaystyle x^2 \cdot x^5 = x^7\) because 2+5=7.

Your two exponents are \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{6}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}\). You must combine them together by adding.

yeah i accidently placed the negative.

24x7/9

CSmith said:
24x7/9

Closer. \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{6}+\frac{2}{3} \ne \frac{7}{9}\).

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}=\frac{4}{6}\) and now you can add them because they have the same bottom number, or denominator.

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{6}+\frac{2}{3}=\frac{5}{6}+\frac{4}{6}= \frac{9}{6}=\frac{3}{2}\)

So the final answer is \(\displaystyle 24x^{\frac{3}{2}}\)

Has your teacher gone over how to solve these problems in your class? It looks like you haven't been given sufficient material to know how to do these so it's understandable that you are having trouble. I recommend brushing up on adding and multiplying fractions as well. They can be tough! :)

well my math teacher only gives out sums to try .Different sums that has several different formats.i feel as if he should focus on one type of situation when dealing with rationals and then focus on the next so that it would be more organized and more easier to catch on.he gives different sums with completely diferent concepts. I am just trying to do the sums in my textbook for practice to understand the different ways myself.how did u get the 2/3 and

Here is a video from Khan Academy on adding and subtracting fractions. I recommend watching it to review this material.

The basics of the kinds of problems from your original post are:

1) Multiply constants
2) If two exponents have the same base, then add exponents together
3) Simplify if possible and you have your answer

Ok thank you sir. i appreciate it

CSmith said:
Ok thank you sir. i appreciate it

Sure :) If you have other questions please post them. I just think that for this particular kind of question you would do better to watch some videos or read through your textbook and then in a bit coming back to ask any more questions you have on this type of problem.

khan university really cleared up a lot of things

Related to Rational exponents expressed as fractions

1. What are rational exponents expressed as fractions?

Rational exponents expressed as fractions are a way of representing a power with a rational number as the exponent. For example, 31/2 is a rational exponent expressed as a fraction, which is equivalent to the square root of 3.

2. How do I simplify rational exponents expressed as fractions?

To simplify rational exponents expressed as fractions, you can use the rules of exponents. For example, if you have 82/3, you can rewrite it as (23)2/3, which simplifies to 22, or 4.

3. Can rational exponents expressed as fractions be negative?

Yes, rational exponents expressed as fractions can be negative. For example, (-8)2/3 is a valid expression, which is equivalent to the cube root of -8 squared, or -4.

4. How do I convert rational exponents expressed as fractions to radical form?

To convert rational exponents expressed as fractions to radical form, you can use the property that xm/n is equal to the nth root of x raised to the m power. For example, 43/5 is equivalent to the fifth root of 4 cubed, or ∛43.

5. Why do we use rational exponents expressed as fractions?

Rational exponents expressed as fractions are useful in situations where the exponent is not a whole number. They allow us to represent fractional powers and perform operations on them using the rules of exponents. They also have applications in fields such as calculus and physics.