Ratio Test Questions/ Series Convergence

In summary: Someone should Approve that what I say is correct. I am sure but when it comes to help other i somehow get uncertain.
calcboi
I am trying to determine convergence for the series n=1 to infinity for cos(n)*pi / (n^2/3) and I am doing the Ratio Test. I found the limit approaches 1 but is less than 1. Does this mean that the limit = 1 or is < 1? I am somewhat confused since this changes it from inconclusive to convergent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Ration Test Questions/ Series Convergence

calcboi said:
I am trying to determine convergence for the series n=1 to infinity for cos(n)*pi / (n^2/3) and I am doing the Ratio Test. I found the limit approaches 1 but is less than 1. Does this mean that the limit = 1 or is < 1? I am somewhat confused since this changes it from inconclusive to convergent.
Hello,
When it says lim x->1 it means x goes to 1 but not actually equal to 1. We aproximite. I would like someone to Approve that what I say is correct. I am sure but when it comes to help other i somehow get uncertain

Edit: If you want less Then 1 I think you Will lim x->1 (negative way)

Last edited:
calcboi said:

The ratio test can be applied to the series with only positive or negative terms. Is Your series of this type?...

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

calcboi said:
I am trying to determine convergence for the series n=1 to infinity for cos(n)*pi / (n^2/3)

As has already been said, the ratio test is not convenient here. The series is $\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos n\pi}{n^{2/3}}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{n^{2/3}}$, so the series of the absolute values is divergent (Riemann's series with $p=2/3\leq 1$). On the other hand by Leibniz criterion, the series is convergent. This implies that the given series is conditionally convergent.

Last edited:
Re: Ration Test Questions/ Series Convergence

Petrus said:
Hello,
When it says lim x->1 it means x goes to 1 but not actually equal to 1. We aproximite.

It means we are choosing some \(\displaystyle |x-1|<\delta\) , which is a more general definition whether we are approaching from the right or the left. We can not say we are approximating the values of x since approximation has always a space of error.

Related to Ratio Test Questions/ Series Convergence

1. What is the Ratio Test for series convergence?

The Ratio Test is a method used to determine whether a series converges or diverges. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

2. How do I use the Ratio Test to determine convergence?

To use the Ratio Test, you first need to find the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

3. What is the difference between the Ratio Test and the Root Test?

Both the Ratio Test and the Root Test are methods used to determine convergence or divergence of a series. The main difference is that the Ratio Test looks at the ratio of consecutive terms, while the Root Test looks at the root of consecutive terms. The Ratio Test is usually easier to apply, but the Root Test can be more powerful for certain types of series.

4. Can the Ratio Test be used for all series?

No, the Ratio Test can only be used for series with positive terms. If a series has both positive and negative terms, the test cannot be used. Additionally, the Ratio Test only works for certain types of series, such as geometric or telescoping series. For other types of series, other tests must be used.

5. What is the significance of the limit in the Ratio Test?

The limit in the Ratio Test is used to determine whether a series converges or diverges. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used. The limit is a critical value that helps us understand the behavior of the series and whether it will approach a finite sum or diverge to infinity.