Rates of Change in a RC Circuit

In summary: E = .5q2/C\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{q}{C}i\frac{dE}{dt
Thefox14

Homework Statement

A 2.9 MΩ and a 2.8 μF capacitor are connected in series with an ideal battery with an EMF of 3 V. At 2 seconds after the circuit is initially connected to the battery:

What is the rate at which energy is being stored on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

dq/dt = v/r * e^(-t/RC) = 8.08e-7

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried differentiating .5Q^2/C and got (dq/dt)/C But this didnt work. I did the same for .5CV^2

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thefox14 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.9 MΩ and a 2.8 μF capacitor are connected in series with an ideal battery with an EMF of 3 V. At 2 seconds after the circuit is initially connected to the battery:

What is the rate at which energy is being stored on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

dq/dt = v/r * e^(-t/RC) = 8.08e-7

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried differentiating .5Q^2/C and got (dq/dt)/C But this didnt work. I did the same for .5CV^2

What am I doing wrong?
You have calculated the current at t = 2 sec. That current is working against the potential difference across the capacitor. What is that potential difference at this time? What is the relationship between current, voltage and power?

AM

E = .5q2/C

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]i[/tex]

so now for ant time t you can find q on capacitor and current in curcuit ...just substitute them

cupid.callin said:
E = .5q2/C

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]i[/tex]

so now for ant time t you can find q on capacitor and current in curcuit ...just substitute them

Ah, Thats right its the chain rule! I kept leaving out the q term heh.

Thanks I get the correct answer now.

A slightly different approach would be: the work done in moving a charge dq through a potential V is Vdq. So the rate of energy storage is Vdq/dt = VI where V = Q/C

AM

Related to Rates of Change in a RC Circuit

1. What is a RC circuit?

A RC circuit, also known as a resistor-capacitor circuit, is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor and a capacitor connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current and store electrical energy.

2. How do you calculate the time constant of a RC circuit?

The time constant of a RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The formula for time constant is τ = R x C. This value represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage or current.

3. What is the relationship between the time constant and the rate of change in a RC circuit?

The time constant is directly proportional to the rate of change in a RC circuit. This means that a smaller time constant will result in a faster rate of change, while a larger time constant will result in a slower rate of change. This relationship is described by the equation: ΔV/Δt = V(1-e^(-t/τ)), where ΔV/Δt is the rate of change, V is the maximum voltage or current, t is time, and τ is the time constant.

4. How does the resistance and capacitance affect the rate of change in a RC circuit?

The resistance and capacitance in a RC circuit have an inverse relationship with the rate of change. A higher resistance value will result in a slower rate of change, while a lower resistance value will result in a faster rate of change. Similarly, a higher capacitance value will result in a slower rate of change, while a lower capacitance value will result in a faster rate of change.

5. What are some real-life applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in timing circuits, filters, and pulse-shaping circuits. In addition, RC circuits are used in medical equipment, such as pacemakers and defibrillators, to regulate the flow of electric current in the body.