Rare-earth energy levels from LS coupling

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of ranking the energy levels of a rare-earth ion, specifically Nd3+, in order of increasing energy based on its spectroscopic terms. While the electron configuration and electrostatic interaction between the 4f electrons can help determine the lowest energy level (4I), it is difficult to determine the order of the remaining levels due to potential overlaps and repulsion between excited states.
fusuke
Hey all,

Is there a way to rank the energy levels of a rare-earth ion in order of increasing energy just from the spectroscopic terms?

Nd3+ has an electron configuration of [Xe]4f^3, which produces energy levels such as 4I, 4F, 2H, 4S, 2G, 4G, 2D, etc from the electrostatic interaction between the 4f electrons. Those levels, in spectroscopic notation, were listed in order of increasing energy according to:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Dfp...=onepage&q=dieke diagram nd3+ overlap&f=false

I know that you can use Hund's rules to determine the lowest energy, which in this case is 4I. However, can you tell the order of the remaining levels? I don't see how 2G having a lower energy than 4G is possible according to Hund.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I remember, this is all quite nasty. The problem is that the excited states are often near degenerate with states where some electrons are promoted to d orbitals. These levels then repell which may lead to an inversion of the order with respect to other states.

Related to Rare-earth energy levels from LS coupling

1. What is LS coupling in rare-earth energy levels?

LS coupling is a model used to describe the energy levels of electrons in rare-earth elements. It stands for "Russell-Saunders coupling" and takes into account the spin and orbital angular momentum of electrons in an atom.

2. Why is LS coupling important in studying rare-earth energy levels?

LS coupling allows for the prediction and understanding of the spectral properties of rare-earth elements. It helps explain the fine structure splitting of energy levels and the observed transitions between them.

3. How is LS coupling different from other coupling models?

LS coupling is a combination of two other coupling models: L coupling, which only considers orbital angular momentum, and S coupling, which only considers spin. LS coupling takes into account both factors and is more accurate in describing the energy levels of rare-earth elements.

4. What are some applications of studying rare-earth energy levels from LS coupling?

Understanding rare-earth energy levels from LS coupling is crucial in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. It is used in the development of new materials, electronic devices, and in spectroscopy studies.

5. Can LS coupling be applied to other elements besides rare earths?

Yes, LS coupling can be applied to other elements, but it is most commonly used in the study of rare-earth elements due to their complex electronic structure and unique energy levels. It can also be used in other heavy elements with similar properties.