Ranking the Magnitude of forces

In summary, the ranking of the forces Fn, Fg, and Ff on a suitcase sliding down a slope at a constant speed depends on the angle of the slope. When the angle is less than 45 degrees, the ranking is Fg>Fn>Ff, while when the angle is greater than 45 degrees, the ranking is Fg>Ff>Fn. When the angle is equal to 45 degrees, the ranking is Fg>Ff=Fn. However, it is important to note that the sum of all forces on the suitcase is equal to zero due to the constant velocity, and the individual forces are vectors with different directions.
sofix33

Homework Statement

Rank the magnitude of Fn, Fg and Ff of a suitcase sliding down a slope at a constant speed

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure about this but I am guessing

The Attempt at a Solution

So if it's going down the slope at a constant speed then the sum of all forces is 0. so does that mean they're all equal?

Likes Asaad
Physics news on Phys.org
You should explain what Fn, Fg, Ff are under "relevant equations".

You are right: In case of constant velocity, their sum is zero. How can the sum of forces equal to zero if all are equal?

Also recall the forces are vectors. What are the directions of the individual forces Fn, Fg, Ff?

i think you mean by Fn: the normal force,Fg: gravititional force: and the Ff is due to friction

in an italic surface with constant speed the surface component of Fg is equal to Ff and so, the normal component to the surface of Fg is equal to Fn

so the ranking should depend on the slope of the surface

if you suppose that the angle of the surface is 0<z<90

when Z is less than 45 the ranking Fg>Fn>Ff
when Z is greater than 45 : Fg>Ff>Fn
when it is equal to 45 : Fg>Ff=Fn

Asaad said:
i think you mean by Fn: the normal force,Fg: gravititional force: and the Ff is due to friction

in an italic surface with constant speed the surface component of Fg is equal to Ff and so, the normal component to the surface of Fg is equal to Fn

so the ranking should depend on the slope of the surface

if you suppose that the angle of the surface is 0<z<90

when Z is less than 45 the ranking Fg>Fn>Ff
when Z is greater than 45 : Fg>Ff>Fn
when it is equal to 45 : Fg>Ff=Fn
Please do not post solutions (except as alternative methods after a solution has already been posted by the thread originator). On homework forums, you should only post hints and point out mistakes.

Oops!

I am really sorry i didn't know that before.

i promise it will be the last. Thanks

Related to Ranking the Magnitude of forces

What is "Ranking the Magnitude of forces"?

"Ranking the Magnitude of forces" is a process used in physics to determine the strength or intensity of different forces acting on an object. It involves comparing the magnitudes of forces using mathematical equations and ranking them in order from strongest to weakest.

What are some examples of forces that can be ranked using this method?

Any type of force can be ranked using this method, as long as it can be measured in units of force. Some common examples include gravitational force, electric force, magnetic force, and frictional force.

How is the magnitude of a force measured?

The magnitude of a force is typically measured using a force meter or a calibrated spring scale. These devices measure the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring, which is then converted to units of force such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a force?

Magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of a force, while direction refers to the path or orientation in which the force is applied. In ranking the magnitude of forces, we are only concerned with the strength of the force, not its direction.

Why is ranking the magnitude of forces important?

Ranking the magnitude of forces allows us to understand how different forces contribute to the overall motion of an object. It also helps us determine which forces are dominant and which ones can be ignored in a given situation. This information is crucial for predicting and analyzing the behavior of objects in motion.