Rank of A & Construction of W: Linear Algebra Homework

• Thread starter porroadventum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the rank of matrix A is 1 and it is proven by showing that two of its rows are identical and the third row is twice one of the other rows. To prove the existence of a 3x2 matrix W, of rank 2, such that AW=0, the rank-nullity theorem can be used to find two linearly independent vectors in the null space of A. These vectors can then be used to construct the matrix W, satisfying the conditions.
porroadventum

Homework Statement

Let A be the following 3 × 3 matrix:
A =([4 2 6],[2 1 3],[2 1 3])
i) Find the rank of A
ii) Show that there exists an 3 × 2 matrix W, of rank 2, such that AW = 0.
iii) Construct one such matrix W.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer to part 1 is rank(A)=1 since row 2 and row 3 are the same and row 1 is just twice row 2 or twice row 3. So there is only one independent row.

I'm not sure how to prove the existence of W however. Do I use the rank-nullity theorem in some way? i.e. rank(a)+nullity(a)=n where A is a mxn matrix. In this case the nullity(A)=1. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the rank of A is 1. Frankly, I would "prove" the existence of W by finding W! (Especially since the third part of the problem asks you to find it.)

You want a "3 x 2" matrix, W, such that AW= 0. Okay:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}4 & 2 & 6 \\ 2 & 1 & 3 \\ 2 & 1 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \\ e & f\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}4a+ 2c+ 6e & 4b+ 2d+ 6f \\ 2a+ c+ 3e & 2b+ d+ 3f \\ 2a+ c+ 3e & 2b+ d+ 3f \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So we have the equations 4a+ 2c+ 6e= 0, 4b+ 2d+ 6f= 0, 2a+ c+ 3e= 0, 2b+ d+ 3f= 0, 2a+ c+ 3e= 0, and 2b+d+ 3f= 0. Of course, the third and fifth equations are the same as are the fourth and sixth equation. In fact, those reduce to only two independent equations. Solve those so that the W matrix has rank 2.

porroadventum said:

Homework Statement

Let A be the following 3 × 3 matrix:
A =([4 2 6],[2 1 3],[2 1 3])
i) Find the rank of A
ii) Show that there exists an 3 × 2 matrix W, of rank 2, such that AW = 0.
iii) Construct one such matrix W.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer to part 1 is rank(A)=1 since row 2 and row 3 are the same and row 1 is just twice row 2 or twice row 3. So there is only one independent row.
Yes, that's right.
I'm not sure how to prove the existence of W however. Do I use the rank-nullity theorem in some way? i.e. rank(a)+nullity(a)=n where A is a mxn matrix. In this case the nullity(A)=1.
You have ##\textrm{rank}(A) = 1##, and ##n = 3##, so ##\textrm{nullity}(A) = 2##, not ##1##. That means that you can find two linearly independent vectors, say ##w_1## and ##w_2##, in the kernel (null space) of ##A##. That is to say, they will satisfy ##Aw_1 = 0## and ##Aw_2 = 0##. If you construct your ##W## matrix so that its two columns consist of ##w_1## and ##w_2##, then you can easily check that this will give you ##AW = 0##.

Halls beat me to it! And his method will be more useful for the next part as it shows you how to find ##w_1## and ##w_2##. Mine is just an existence proof, but hopefully it makes it clear why it should be possible to find such a ##W##.

THat's great, thank you both for your help

Related to Rank of A & Construction of W: Linear Algebra Homework

1. What is the meaning of "Rank of A" in Linear Algebra?

The rank of a matrix A is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. It represents the dimension of the vector space spanned by the rows or columns of the matrix. In other words, it measures the number of essential components of the matrix.

2. How is the rank of a matrix calculated?

The rank of a matrix can be calculated by performing row operations on the matrix until it is in reduced row echelon form. Then, the number of non-zero rows in the reduced matrix is equal to the rank of the original matrix.

3. What is the significance of the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is important in determining the properties and behavior of the matrix. It is used to determine if a matrix is invertible, if a system of linear equations has a unique solution, and if a matrix can be used to represent a linear transformation.

4. What is the construction of W in Linear Algebra?

In Linear Algebra, W is often used to represent a subspace of a vector space V. It is constructed by taking a subset of the vectors in V that satisfy certain properties, such as being linearly independent or spanning the vector space. The construction of W can also involve performing operations on the vectors in V, such as taking linear combinations.

5. How is the construction of W related to the rank of A?

The construction of W can be related to the rank of A by considering the columns of A as vectors in V. If the rank of A is equal to the number of columns in A, then the columns of A are linearly independent and can be used to construct a basis for W. If the rank of A is less than the number of columns in A, then the columns of A do not span the entire vector space and cannot be used to construct a basis for W.