Ranges of coherence lengths for

• Thread starter Kapacs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coherence
One way to calculate the coherence length is by using the formula ∆x = c/∆v, where c is the speed of light and ∆v is the frequency interval. However, there may be other methods for obtaining these values, such as looking them up in a table online.
Kapacs
Ranges of coherence lengths for...

I am dealing with a bit of a problem here figuring out a table of ranges of coherence lengths for; white light, filtered gas discharge tubes and lasers. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to give me a hand with obtaining these values without having to conduct some sort of experiment. I did come across a formula; ∆x = c∆t where c = speed of light and ∆t the time it took to travel. A variation of that would be ∆x = c/∆v where ∆v is the frequency interval. Now, is there any other way I could get these ranges? A URL with a table for them would suffice.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The coherence length of white light is typically very short (on the order of nanometers). The coherence length of filtered gas discharge tubes and lasers can vary widely, depending on the specific setup. Generally speaking, for lasers, the coherence length can be as long as a few hundred meters, or even kilometers in some cases. For filtered gas discharge tubes, the coherence length is usually much shorter, often just a few millimeters.

Hi there, thank you for reaching out for help. I understand your dilemma in trying to obtain the ranges of coherence lengths for different sources of light. While conducting experiments is the most accurate way to determine these values, there are other ways to obtain them.

One way is to use the formula you mentioned, ∆x = c/∆v, to calculate the coherence length based on the frequency interval of the light source. This method may not be as accurate as conducting experiments, but it can give you a rough estimate of the ranges.

Another way is to refer to published literature or online resources that provide tables or graphs of coherence lengths for different sources of light. For example, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) website has a table of coherence lengths for various laser wavelengths.

Additionally, you can also try reaching out to experts or researchers in the field of optics for their insights and resources on obtaining these values.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Ranges of coherence lengths for

What are coherence lengths for a given material?

Coherence lengths refer to the distance over which a material maintains its coherence, or the ability to maintain a consistent phase relationship between different parts of a wave. This value is dependent on the material's properties, such as its refractive index and absorption coefficient.

How are coherence lengths measured?

Coherence lengths can be measured through various techniques, such as interferometry or time-correlated single photon counting. These methods involve measuring the interference patterns or time delays of light waves passing through the material, which can then be used to calculate the coherence length.

What is the typical range of coherence lengths for different materials?

The range of coherence lengths can vary greatly depending on the material. For example, in metals, coherence lengths can be on the order of a few nanometers, while in gases, they can range from a few millimeters to several meters. Generally, the larger the material's absorption coefficient, the shorter its coherence length.

How do coherence lengths affect the behavior of light passing through a material?

The coherence length of a material plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of light passing through it. For example, in a material with a long coherence length, light waves will maintain their phase relationship over a longer distance, resulting in less scattering and a clearer image. On the other hand, materials with shorter coherence lengths will cause light to scatter more, leading to a blurrier image.

Can coherence lengths be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, coherence lengths can be controlled or manipulated through various methods, such as changing the material's temperature, pressure, or composition. By altering these parameters, the material's properties, and thus its coherence length, can be modified. This ability to control coherence lengths has many practical applications, such as in the development of optical devices and technologies.