Range of y: Solving Exercises with x=0

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the square root symbol and the ambiguity it may cause in determining the range of a function. It is clarified that when using the symbol, it refers to the positive square root value. The range of the function in question is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is between 0 and 1.
SamitC
Hello,
This is a very basic question but bothering me on some exercises.
upload_2016-7-19_0-14-33.png
upload_2016-7-19_0-14-33.png

Then how is the range of y is
upload_2016-7-19_0-15-49.png
? What if x is 0, then we can have y = 1 or y = -1.
While doing some exercises I encountered this issue and can't match the answers.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For the most part, ##\sqrt{x}## indicates the positive square root value.

Since, in this case, y is a function, there is not the slightest ambiguity. Functions are only allowed to have one value for anyone input. So ##y=\sqrt{1-x^2}## refers only to the positive root.

Likes SamitC
If you just write ##y = \sqrt{1-x^2}## then it is only the positive root. Otherwise you should write ##y = ± \sqrt{1-x^2}## to indicate that you consider both roots. And even this is a bit sloppy because it means ##y \in \{ ± \sqrt{1-x^2} \}##. I normally write ##y_{1,2} = ± \sqrt{1-x^2}##.

Likes SamitC
.Scott said:
For the most part, ##\sqrt{x}## indicates the positive square root value.

Since, in this case, y is a function, there is not the slightest ambiguity. Functions are only allowed to have one value for anyone input. So ##y=\sqrt{1-x^2}## refers only to the positive root.
The function part made it clear. Thanks.

But the range isn't ##y\ge 0##. It's ##0\le y\le 1##.

Related to Range of y: Solving Exercises with x=0

1. What is the meaning of "Range of y"?

The range of y refers to the set of all possible values that the dependent variable y can take on in a given equation or function.

2. Can you explain how to solve exercises with x=0 to find the range of y?

To find the range of y when x=0, you will need to substitute 0 for x in the equation and solve for y. The resulting value of y will be the range of y for that particular equation.

3. Are there any special rules or techniques for solving exercises with x=0?

No, the process for solving exercises with x=0 is the same as solving any other equation. The only difference is that you will be substituting 0 for x in the equation.

4. How do I know if I have found the correct range of y for a given equation?

You can check your answer by plugging in different values for x and ensuring that the resulting y values fall within the range you calculated. You can also graph the equation and see if the range of y matches the graph.

5. Why is finding the range of y important in scientific research?

The range of y is important because it allows researchers to understand the relationship between the independent and dependent variables in an equation or function. It also helps to determine the limits and boundaries of the data being analyzed.