Random lengths of Collatz chains

• B
  • Thread starter Chris Miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the conversation discusses the Collatz algorithm and its effectiveness in reducing test values to 1. The algorithm involves dividing by 2 twice for each multiplication by 3, resulting in an average reduction of 1/4 or 1/12 per iteration. The speaker has tweaked the algorithm to produce longer series with a smaller reduction per iteration, and wants to know how to calculate the average iterations needed to reduce 128-bit test values to 1. They also mention a more general question about the number of iterations needed to reduce a positive b-bit test integer to 1 given a constant reduction factor of 1/p per iteration. The conversation also touches on the use of non-integral intermediary values and the similarity between the algorithm and
Chris Miller
TL;DR Summary
Given that a positive b-bit test integer is reduced by 1/p per iteration, how many iterations will, on average, be needed to reduce it to 1?
Assuming its hail stone series is pseudo-random, the Collatz algorithm divides by 2 twice for each multiplication by 3. This means that for every three iterations the test value is on average reduced by 1/4, or 1/12 per iteration. I've tweaked the algorithm to produce much longer series for which (again, assuming they're pseudo-random) the probable reduction per iteration approaches zero (but still seems to work). I'd like to know how to calculate the average iterations (loops) expected to reduce 128-bit test values to 1, where the per loop reduction is 1/12, 1/448, 1/245760... (in order to compare to actual results).

More generally, given that a positive b-bit test integer is reduced by 1/p per iteration, how many iterations will, on average, be needed to reduce it to 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris Miller said:
Summary:: Given that a positive b-bit test integer is reduced by 1/p per iteration, how many iterations will, on average, be needed to reduce it to 1?

Perhaps you mean to ask "Given that, on average, a positive b-bit test integer ##p## is reduced by a factor of ##1/p_n## by the ##n-th## step of a process where ##p_n## is the value at the beginning the ##n##-step..."?

Or is the factor ##1/p## a constant? Or did you intend "reduced by" to mean an arithmetic subtraction instead of "reduced by a factor of"?Whatever random process you have in mind, my guess is that this question cannot be answered only by knowing the average change produced by the random process. What is the probability distribution for the change?

Last edited:
I apologize for my lack of specificity. Forget probability. Each test integer (t) is, at each iteration reduced by t * (p-1)/p where p is constant. E.g., if t is 128 bits and p=2, it would take 127 iterations to reduce t to 1. I'd probably be able to extrapolate to other p if I were better at math.

Chris Miller said:
E.g., if t is 128 bits
Do you mean "if ##t = 2^{129} - 1##"? Or perhaps you mean ##2^{128} \le t \le 2^{129} - 1 ## ?

Each test integer (t) is, at each iteration reduced by t * (p-1)/p where p is constant.

Suppose ##t = 13## and ##p = 3##. Does the iteration produce the new value ##t = 8##? Or does it produce the new value ##t = 9## ?

I'd probably be able to extrapolate to other p if I were better at math.

This might not be a simple question - depending on how we settle the details!

Thanks Stephen. Assume that intermediary test values need not be integral. So 13 * (2/3) = 8.66666... Starting to look like a logarithm thing to me. The number of iterations of x=x*((p-1)/p) it'll take to reduce x by one bit should be fairly constant (per bit) as p approaches infinity.

Chris Miller said:
Thanks Stephen. Assume that intermediary test values need not be integral. So 13 * (2/3) = 8.66666... Starting to look like a logarithm thing to me.

Then is the question to solve ## t (\frac{p-1}{p})^N = 1 ## for ##N##?

If it solves to the same N as this algo, where t and p are given, then yes.

Code:
N=0
while t>=1
    t=t*((p-1)/p)
    N++
endwhile

Chris Miller said:
If it solves to the same N as this algo, where t and p are given, then yes.

Code:
N=0
while t>=1
    t=t*((p-1)/p)
    N++
endwhile

That algorithm does an interation when t is initially 1. Is that what you want it to do?

Doesn't really matter since intermediary values needn't be integral. But, yes, I suppose while t>1 would've been better. Thanks for pointing that out. Been trying to see whether the algorithm is the same as your equation (besides that t might never exactly = 1 and so it would have no solution). But is it basically the same? I can probably test using small t and p.

Chris Miller said:
But is it basically the same?

Yes, I think so.

Testing the algorithm with (p-1)/p=11/12 , t=67 then N=49 and t ends up at 0.94. And the expression 67*((11/12)^49) also equals 0.94. So it seems they are the same. Thanks. So how does one find the smallest value of N, given t and p, where t*(p^N)<=1?

## t (\frac{p-1}{p})^N = 1 ##
## (\frac{p-1}{p})^N = 1/t ##
## N \log( \frac{p-1}{p}) = - \log t ##
## N = \frac{ (- \log t)}{\log ((p-1)/p))}##

gives a possibly non-integer value of ##N##. The solution you want is given by rounding it up. Of course, that's ignoring things like round-off error that actually occur in programs.

Thanks for the solution and the process. Will give it a try. Where p is large, will have to find a way to make work with huge integers is all. Appreciate your help here, Stephen.

Not sure what "total stopping time" means exactly. By "assuming" I meant only treating. I wouldn't think it would pass any random tests like GCD, Gorilla, b-day, etc., or be evenly distributed since all normal Collatz series end on 16, 8, 4, 1. The higher level series I'm playing with can be millions of times longer and cover much wider ranges of values, and seem to act like probability distributions, much more than normal (level 0) Collatz. In series that reach 50 and 100-bit values before descending, I'd still expect to see more frequent lower integers. But the LSBs are almost perfectly random.

Related to Random lengths of Collatz chains

1. What is the Collatz conjecture?

The Collatz conjecture, also known as the 3n+1 conjecture, is a famous unsolved problem in mathematics. It states that if you take any positive integer and repeatedly apply the following operations: if the number is even, divide it by 2; if the number is odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1; the resulting sequence will eventually reach 1.

2. What are "random lengths of Collatz chains"?

"Random lengths of Collatz chains" refers to the sequence of numbers that result from applying the Collatz conjecture to a given starting number. The length of the sequence is determined by the number of iterations it takes to reach 1.

3. How do you determine the length of a Collatz chain?

The length of a Collatz chain can be determined by counting the number of iterations it takes to reach 1. This can be done manually by applying the operations of the Collatz conjecture to a given starting number, or it can be done using a computer program.

4. Is there a pattern to the lengths of Collatz chains?

As of now, there is no known pattern to the lengths of Collatz chains. The conjecture has been tested for numbers up to 2^68, and no counterexamples have been found. However, it is still an open problem whether a pattern exists or not.

5. Why is the study of random lengths of Collatz chains important?

The study of random lengths of Collatz chains is important because it is a fundamental problem in mathematics that has yet to be solved. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and dynamical systems. Additionally, the study of Collatz chains can provide insights into the behavior of simple algorithms and the nature of randomness.