Ramp, block, and elastic potential energy

In summary, the spring in the figure below has a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.8. When released from the position shown, the block travels 0.9 m before coming to a stop.
fereas

Homework Statement

The spring in the figure below is initially compressed by 0.4 m in the position shown. If released from this position, block A travels 0.9 m before coming to a stop. The kinetic coefficient of friction is 0.8. What is the spring constant? (The spring is not fastened to block A)

Zqbu5.png

Homework Equations

Elastic potential energy=0.5kx^2
Work=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

The force of gravity acting on the block=9.81*4=39.24 N

The force of gravity acting on the block parallel to the ramp=sin(10°)*39.24=6.81 N

The force of gravity acting on the block perpendicular to the ramp=cos(10°)*39.2=38.64 N, which is also what the normal force is equal to.

Force of friction=38.64*0.8=30.91 N

Elastic potential energy=(0.5)(0.4)^2(k)

The block will gain kinetic energy from the elastic potential energy + the gravitational potential energy, and lose an amount equal to that (since it stops) due to friction, so:

elastic potential energy+gravitational potential energy=energy lost to friction
(0.5)(0.4)^2(k)+(6.81)(0.9)=(30.91)(0.9)
k≈271

However, the answer I'm given is k=260. I'm not sure if this is a typo, rounding error, or if I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're very close. Your mistake is in the gravitational potential energy. You are told that it travels 0.9 m along the surface; so is the block initially 0.9m vertically above the final state, or is it a different amount?

Steely Dan said:
You're very close. Your mistake is in the gravitational potential energy. You are told that it travels 0.9 m along the surface; so is the block initially 0.9m vertically above the final state, or is it a different amount?

I found the gravitational energy by multiplying the amount of gravitational force acting parallel to the ramp (6.81 N) by the distance it acts for:

≈(6.81)(0.9)
≈6.129 J

Using the gravitational potential energy equation, I get the same answer:

=mgh
=(4)(9.81)(sin(10)*0.9)
≈6.13 J

Try solving it smply.

Work done on the box = Change in K.E

fereas said:
I found the gravitational energy by multiplying the amount of gravitational force acting parallel to the ramp (6.81 N) by the distance it acts for:

≈(6.81)(0.9)
≈6.129 J

Using the gravitational potential energy equation, I get the same answer:

=mgh
=(4)(9.81)(sin(10)*0.9)
≈6.13 J

My apologies. I saw no sin(10) in the last line and assumed you had overlooked it. The work looks correct to me otherwise.

Related to Ramp, block, and elastic potential energy

1. What is ramp, block, and elastic potential energy?

Ramp, block, and elastic potential energy are all types of potential energy that are related to the position or shape of an object. Ramp potential energy refers to the potential energy of an object that is located on a ramp or inclined plane, while block potential energy refers to the potential energy of an object that is raised to a certain height. Elastic potential energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How is ramp potential energy calculated?

Ramp potential energy can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height of the ramp. The formula for ramp potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the ramp.

3. What factors affect block potential energy?

The factors that affect block potential energy include the mass of the block, the height at which it is lifted, and the acceleration due to gravity. The higher the block is lifted and the greater its mass, the more potential energy it will have. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity varies depending on the location on Earth, so this can also affect the amount of potential energy stored in the block.

4. How is elastic potential energy related to Hooke's law?

Elastic potential energy is related to Hooke's law, which states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it will have stored within it.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. When an object with potential energy starts to move, it will convert some of its potential energy into kinetic energy. Additionally, potential energy can be converted into thermal energy through friction, such as when a block slides down a ramp and rubs against the surface, causing it to heat up.