Ramen Noodle Dilemma: What's the Future?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: Ramen noodles will kill you. You should also try to get some other nutrients into your diet, like vitamins, milk, and cereal.Supplement with taco bell when necessary.
Mentat
What's going to happen to me if I continue to subsist, almost entirely, on Ramen Noodles?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're brain will turn to soup. If it hasn't already! :smile:

So, that's what did it!

I'm serious, though...I eat other things some times, but it's pretty much just been Ramen Noodles for a while now, and I've read the "Nutrition Facts"...yeah, there's nothin' to 'em!

Mentat said:
So, that's what did it!

I'm serious, though...I eat other things some times, but it's pretty much just been Ramen Noodles for a while now, and I've read the "Nutrition Facts"...yeah, there's nothin' to 'em!

Take a mutlivitamin, drink milk with em, you'll survive for a while. Supplement with taco bell when necessary.

I survived several years on Ramen noodles (it's called trying to find affordable food with what's left after you pay the rent on a grad student stipend). However, it helps to mix things up a bit. Have a side of tuna once in a while (that's a big splurge for special ocassions), or get a jar of sauce and boil up some real pasta (if you buy pasta on sale, it's almost as cheap as Ramen noodles, and one jar of sauce can be made to go a long way if you use it sparingly). :biggrin:

Seriously, there's pretty much no nutritional value to those things unless you need salt to prevent dehydration. Get some cereal and milk for breakfast, and get some other real food into you for lunch or dinner.

I could never eat that stuff, my diet consists of lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (having an avocado sandwhich right now).. if you are really on a stretch.. try heating some potatoes in the microwave for ~3 minutes a piece: they're delicious, dip them in some spagetti sauce if you want :biggrin:

but seriously, you need to have a proper diet to keep your mind sharp

After my divorce I subsisted primarily on Ramen (oriental flavor) and Wild Turkey (101). After that I traded the WT for a hot plate and my diet was mostly spam or portuguese sausage with rice. You haven't lived until you've had a sandwich of spam fried with brown sugar. :-p

Echo 6 Sierra said:
After my divorce I subsisted primarily on Ramen (oriental flavor) and Wild Turkey (101). After that I traded the WT for a hot plate and my diet was mostly spam or portuguese sausage with rice. You haven't lived until you've had a sandwich of spam fried with brown sugar. :-p

I thought Ramen noodles were bad.

I don't think i could ever eat spam. Not without throwing up anyway.

And microwaved potatoes? that would be really dry. Better than ramen nutritionally I'm sure, but harder to eat. Would need much butter, or spaghetti would work i suppose.

No, the potatoes don't become dry. It's like you prepared them in the oven in tinfoil, only much faster! Why butter?? if you can have healthy tomato sauce with lots of lycopene? Ketchup might do the trick too, I believe it's not too unhealthy and it's loaded with lycopene.

On condition one cleans his teeth afterwards,i'd say that no food is better that CHOCOLATE...

Daniel.

Monique said:
No, the potatoes don't become dry. It's like you prepared them in the oven in tinfoil, only much faster! Why butter?? if you can have healthy tomato sauce with lots of lycopene? Ketchup might do the trick too, I believe it's not too unhealthy and it's loaded with lycopene.
I pour salsa (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalepenos and cilantro) on my potatoes.

That sounds good :!) especially with some chopped garlic mixed in :biggrin:

Monique said:
That sounds good :!) especially with some chopped garlic mixed in :biggrin:
Everything is better with garlic! :!)

Mentat: you might be interested in this http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mramen.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Several months ago, maybe years, I posted my idea to add vitamins to the powder of Ramen Noodles. I still think it would be a good idea for the enterprising entrepreneur.

Mentat said:
What's going to happen to me if I continue to subsist, almost entirely, on Ramen Noodles?
It will put lead in your pencil. Eventually your pencil will become so heavy it will take a crane just to hoist it. :-p

LOl there is actually a poster in one of the buildings here on campus that tells the story of a kid who ate nothing but ramen noodles for 100 days straight in order to save money so he could buy a plasma TV. he ended up saving enough money to buy the TV and also lost 10lbs.

At CMU there's an urban legend of some kid who ate only Ramen for a year and died of malnutrition. Can't imagine that one actually being real though.

Andromeda321 said:
At CMU there's an urban legend of some kid who ate only Ramen for a year and died of malnutrition. Can't imagine that one actually being real though.

Of course he couldn't die from just eating those...oh wait...yeah he could.

You know, I used to love to cook. I would make elaborate meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, sometimes. I'd even cook desserts every once in a while (though my brother was always better at that). But, I'm just kinda hooked on Ramen Noodles now...oh well, my mind's never been that "sharp" anyway. Maybe I'll go back to eating good and see if it makes a difference in how clearly I think...

Well I checked up with my friend at CMU and apparently there are two versions of the story: in one he died, in another he *merely* got scurvy. Interesting...

Monique said:

Mince is nice on potatoes tooo :smile: and chilli beans :redface:
...sorta cheap.

How about chicken soup consisting of stock & water ?

gazzo said:
Mince is nice on potatoes tooo :smile: and chilli beans :redface:
...sorta cheap.

How about chicken soup consisting of stock & water ?

thats ramen without the noodles.

Related to Ramen Noodle Dilemma: What's the Future?

1. What is the Ramen Noodle Dilemma?

The Ramen Noodle Dilemma refers to the growing concern over the sustainability and environmental impact of the production and consumption of instant ramen noodles. As the popularity of this inexpensive and convenient food continues to rise, questions have been raised about its long-term implications on the environment and human health.

2. What are the main environmental concerns surrounding the production of ramen noodles?

The main environmental concerns surrounding the production of ramen noodles include the excessive use of water, energy, and packaging materials. The production process also generates a significant amount of waste and contributes to carbon emissions, which contribute to climate change.

3. How does the consumption of ramen noodles affect human health?

Ramen noodles are often high in sodium, saturated fat, and calories, making them a less-than-ideal choice for regular consumption. Additionally, the flavoring packets often contain artificial ingredients and preservatives, which can have negative impacts on health in the long run.

4. What is being done to address the Ramen Noodle Dilemma?

There are efforts being made to address the Ramen Noodle Dilemma, such as the development of more sustainable production methods and the use of more eco-friendly packaging materials. Some companies are also creating healthier versions of instant ramen noodles with lower sodium and more natural ingredients.

5. Is there a future for instant ramen noodles?

It is likely that the production and consumption of instant ramen noodles will continue, but changes need to be made in order to make it more sustainable and environmentally-friendly. As consumers become more aware of the impact of their food choices, there may also be a shift towards healthier and more sustainable alternatives to traditional instant ramen noodles.