Radix Economy of Complex Bases

In summary, the Wikipedia page for Radix Economy explains how to calculate the economy of positive real bases, such as 2, e, 3, and pi. However, it does not mention how to find the economy of complex or negative bases. To find the economy of a complex base, such as Donald Knuth's Quater-Imaginary base, you can use the formula: digits required * number of digits possible. In the case of Quater-Imaginary base, there are 4 digit possibilities, so a number like 1223101 (base 2i) would have an economy of 28. However, it may be more complicated to calculate the length of a number in a complex base compared to
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The same way
digits required*number of digits possible

for Quater-Imaginary base there are 4 digit possibilities so
1223101 (base 2i)
has
E(2i,-35+40i)7*4=28

Thanks lurflurf, sorry about this but I don't understand how the Econ function would actually work with complex numbers. When I fill in the function I get a complex result:

log(-35+40)/log(2i) = 2.15.. -1.57..i

So basically I guess I'm asking how you find the length of a number in a complex base. With integer bases it works fine, but these complex bases seem more contrived..

Related to Radix Economy of Complex Bases

1. What is the "Radix Economy of Complex Bases"?

The Radix Economy of Complex Bases is a mathematical concept that refers to the efficiency of using different base systems for representing numbers. It examines how the choice of a base affects the length and complexity of the representation of numbers.

2. How does the Radix Economy of Complex Bases work?

The Radix Economy of Complex Bases works by comparing the length of a number's representation in different base systems. It takes into account the number of digits and the value of each digit to determine which base system is the most efficient for representing that number.

3. What are some examples of complex base systems?

Some examples of complex base systems include binary, octal, hexadecimal, and other non-integer bases such as base e and base π. These base systems are commonly used in computer science and engineering.

4. How is the Radix Economy of Complex Bases relevant in real-world applications?

The Radix Economy of Complex Bases is relevant in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and data compression. It helps in optimizing the storage and transmission of data, as well as in developing more efficient algorithms and calculations.

5. Can the Radix Economy of Complex Bases be applied to all types of numbers?

Yes, the Radix Economy of Complex Bases can be applied to all types of numbers, including real numbers, complex numbers, and even irrational numbers. It is a universal concept that can be used to compare the efficiency of representing numbers in different base systems.