Radius of hellical chain (radius of path of electron)?

In summary, the initial question is about the correctness of a concept and the provided answer is 9.86 cm, but the asker's answer is 13 cm. They are asking for help in identifying where they went wrong. The suggested solution involves finding the perpendicular component of the velocity and using it in a formula. However, the second person points out that the angle was used in one part of the solution but not the other, which may be the source of the discrepancy. They ask for more details on this.
delsoo

Homework Statement

here's the question, is my concept correct? the ans is 9.86 cm, but my ans is 13 cm, can anyone tell me which part is wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0115~3[2].jpg
    DSC_0115~3[2].jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
For your formula, you have to take the perpendicular component of the velocity only.

mfb said:
For your formula, you have to take the perpendicular component of the velocity only.

perpendicular velocity is v sin tetha, so i sub all the values to the working above, i would get r=(mv)/(Bq sin 60) , where m=9.1x10^-31 , v= 4.0x10^7 ms^-1 B=2.0x10^-3 T , q=1.6X10^-9C , i would get 0.13m but not 9.86 cm... what's wrong with my working?

At one side you did use the angle, but I think at the other side you did not.

mfb said:
At one side you did use the angle, but I think at the other side you did not.

what do u mean? can you expalin more detail?

Related to Radius of hellical chain (radius of path of electron)?

1. What is the radius of a helical chain?

The radius of a helical chain refers to the distance from the center of the chain to the outermost edge of the chain. It is often used to describe the size or curvature of a helix or spiral shape.

2. How is the radius of a helical chain calculated?

The radius of a helical chain can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the number of turns in the helix, the pitch (distance between each turn), and the diameter of the chain itself. Alternatively, it can also be measured directly using specialized tools such as a caliper or ruler.

3. What factors affect the radius of a helical chain?

The radius of a helical chain can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the diameter and flexibility of the chain, the tightness of the helix, and external forces such as tension or compression. It can also be affected by changes in temperature or other environmental conditions.

4. Why is the radius of a helical chain important in scientific research?

The radius of a helical chain is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the physical properties and behavior of materials, such as their flexibility, strength, and ability to withstand external forces. It can also help scientists understand the structure of complex molecules and proteins, which can have important implications for various fields of study, including chemistry, biology, and medicine.

5. Can the radius of a helical chain change over time?

Yes, the radius of a helical chain can change over time due to various factors such as wear and tear, environmental conditions, or external forces. For example, a metal spring may become more stretched out and have a larger radius after repeated use, while a polymer chain may become more compact and have a smaller radius when exposed to heat or pressure.