Radius of Divergence: Find R & Interval of Convergence

In summary: In this case, one endpoint is included in the interval (since it is a closed interval), and one endpoint is not included (since it is an open interval). This is just a technicality in notation.
Abner

Homework Statement

I have this problem to consider the power series,
[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-4)^{n}}{\sqrt{n}}(x+4)^{n}[/itex]
So, i need to find the [itex]R[/itex] and interval of convergence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i did:
[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac{(-4)^{n+1}(x+4)^{n+1}}{\sqrt{n+1}}}\frac{\sqrt{n}}{(-4)^{n}(x+4)^{n}}[/itex]

and this is what i get after i finished calculating for [itex] R [/itex] [itex]= 4|x+4|[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow R = 1/4[/itex] and the interverval for convergence [itex]= (-17/4, -15/4)[/itex]

When i submitted this answer into webwork, the system said it was wrong. So, can somebody please guide me to the correct path of calculating this question please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct to me.

Likes Abner
Yes, the answer is correct but i just noticed that i enter the interval in the wrong notations. It supposed to be [itex](-17/4,-15/4][/itex]. I just don't understand why one interval is open, and the other one is closed.

When you use the Ratio test for interval of convergence, you have to check the end points, this is because the test is inconclusive when the limit is 1.

Likes Abner
You have to check the borders separately. If you do that, you'll see one gives a convergent series, the other one does not.

Edit: Didn't see Panphobia's post before.

Likes Abner
So, when one point is convergent we use the closed interval, and open if it diverges?

Yes, because it is included in the interval.

Likes Abner
ok that makes sense. Thanks for the replies and the help.

Abner said:
Yes, the answer is correct but i just noticed that i enter the interval in the wrong notations. It supposed to be [itex](-17/4,-15/4][/itex]. I just don't understand why one interval is open, and the other one is closed.
Technical point. (-17/4, -15/4] is one interval. The two numbers are endpoints of this interval, not intervals themselves.

Likes Abner

Related to Radius of Divergence: Find R & Interval of Convergence

1. What is the definition of radius of divergence?

The radius of divergence is a mathematical concept used to determine the interval of values for which a series will converge or diverge. It is denoted by R and represents the distance from the center of a power series to the nearest point where the series will converge.

2. How do you find the radius of divergence?

The radius of divergence can be found by using the ratio test on a power series. The ratio test involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of the limit. If the limit is greater than 1 or does not exist, the series will diverge, and the radius of convergence is equal to 0.

3. What is the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is the set of all values for which a power series will converge. It is represented by an interval on the real number line and can be found by determining the radius of convergence and finding the interval of convergence around the center point.

4. How do you determine the interval of convergence?

To determine the interval of convergence, you first need to find the radius of convergence. Then, you need to find the interval of convergence around the center point by considering the endpoints of the interval and testing the convergence of the series at these points using a test such as the ratio test or the root test.

5. Can the radius of divergence and the interval of convergence be the same value?

Yes, it is possible for the radius of divergence and the interval of convergence to have the same value. This occurs when the series converges at every point within the radius of convergence. In this case, the interval of convergence will be the same as the radius of convergence centered around the center point of the series.