Radius of convergence log(a + x)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the radius of convergence of the series expansion of log(a + x) around x = 0. It is suggested to use the Taylor series expansion and apply the ratio test, even though there is a log term in the first term of the series. It is confirmed that the same method can be used as with other power series.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

determine the radius of convergence of the series expansion of log(a + x) around x = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So after applying the Taylor series expansion about x=0 we get log(a) + SUM[(-1)^n x^n/(n a^n)] I understand how to get the radius of convergence for log(1+x) for instance using the ratio test, but with 1 being replaced with what I believe to be an arbitrary constant I am now confused as to how I should tackle this, any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Would I employ the ratio test in the same way? I have a log in the numerator and denominator so not really sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
So after applying the Taylor series expansion about x=0 we get log(a) + SUM[(-1)^n x^n/(n a^n)]
There is a minor error: [tex]log(a+x)=log(a)+\sum_1^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1} \frac{x^n}{n a^n}[/tex]
Do the same as with other power series.
Where do you have log in the terms of the series, except the first one?

ehild

Last edited:
Yeah so I only have the log in the first term, that's why I am confused, just making sure it is the same as if all terms are just a power series, would I use the ratio test in the same vein as with log(1+x)?

Yes, use the ratio test. Do not worry about the first term. ehild

Likes 1 person

Related to Radius of convergence log(a + x)

What is the definition of the radius of convergence for log(a + x)?

The radius of convergence for log(a + x) is the maximum distance from the center point (a) at which the series will converge. In other words, it is the range of values for x that will result in a convergent series.

How is the radius of convergence for log(a + x) calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken as x approaches the center point a. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge and the radius of convergence can be determined.

What is the significance of the radius of convergence for log(a + x)?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for x where the series will converge. If x is outside of this range, the series will diverge and the approximation for log(a + x) will not be accurate.

Can the radius of convergence for log(a + x) be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It represents a distance and therefore must be a positive value.

Is the radius of convergence for log(a + x) affected by the value of a?

Yes, the radius of convergence is affected by the value of a. As the value of a changes, so does the center point of the series and therefore the range of values for x where the series will converge also changes.