Radius of Convergence for $\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{z^{2j}}{2^j}$

In summary, the given series, $\displaystyle \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{z^{2j}}{2^j}$, has a radius of convergence equal to $\sqrt{2}$, as shown by the Cauchy root test. This can also be seen by rewriting the series as a geometric series with common ratio $\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}$, which converges for all $\displaystyle |z| < \sqrt{2}$.
Guest2
Radius of convergence of $\displaystyle \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{z^{2j}}{2^j}$.

If I let $z^2 = x$ I get a series whose radius of convergence is $2$ (by the ratio test).

How do I get from this that the original series has a radius of convergence equal to $\sqrt{2}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{z^{2j}}{2^j}=\left(\dfrac{z}{\sqrt2}\right)^{2j}\), so the series is a geometric series which converges for all \(\displaystyle |z|<\sqrt2\).

Thank you.

Cauchy root test gives: $\displaystyle (\lim |a_n|^{1/n})^{-1} =\left(\lim \left|\frac{x^{2n}}{2^n}\right|^{1/n}\right)^{-1} = \lim \left|\frac{x^2}{2}\right| = \frac{1}{2} |x|$ and $\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} |x^2| < 1 \implies |x| < \sqrt{2}. $ So $R = \sqrt{2}$

However, my book says $R = (\lim |a_n|^{1/n})^{-1})$ (if it exists). Surely, that can't be right as I still have $x$ term in the limit?

greg1313 said:
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{z^{2j}}{2^j}=\left(\dfrac{z}{\sqrt2}\right)^{2j}\), so the series is a geometric series which converges for all \(\displaystyle |z|<\sqrt2\).

Technically it would need to be written as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( \frac{z^2}{2} \right) ^j \end{align*}$ to be read off as a geometric series. So it converges where the absolute value of the common ratio $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \frac{z^2}{2} \right| < 1 \implies \left| z^2 \right| < 2 \implies \left| z \right| < \sqrt{2} \end{align*}$...

Related to Radius of Convergence for $\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{z^{2j}}{2^j}$

What is the radius of convergence for the given series?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series where the series will converge. In this case, the radius of convergence is 2.

How do you determine the radius of convergence for this series?

The radius of convergence can be found by using the ratio test. This involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence can be determined by taking the reciprocal of this limit.

Can the series converge outside of the radius of convergence?

No, the series will only converge within the radius of convergence. Outside of this radius, the series will either diverge or the convergence cannot be determined.

What happens if the limit in the ratio test is equal to 1?

If the limit is equal to 1, the ratio test is inconclusive and another method, such as the root test, must be used to determine the convergence of the series.

How does the value of z affect the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is dependent on the value of z, as it is the distance from the center of the series. As z gets closer to the center, the radius of convergence will decrease, and as z moves away from the center, the radius of convergence will increase.