Radius divided or multiplied by refractive index?

In summary: So, if the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, then the object is at the surface of the water. If the angle of incidence is greater than the angle of reflection, then the object is deeper in the water.In summary, the object is at the surface of the water if the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.
Mr. Floyd
First of all, sorry for bad english. Second of all sorry if such thread is already created, but I really need fast help.

Homework Statement

There's a lamp in the bottom of the lake. If you watch the lamp from the surface(out of the water) and your eyesight is crossed with the lake, you can see a bright circle. Radius of the circle is 10 meters. Refractive index of the water is 1,33. how deep in the water the lamp is.

Homework Equations

radius divided or multiplied by refractive index? that's the only idea i can come up with.

The Attempt at a Solution

10/1,33=7,52m
10*1,33=13,3m

well the task only has 2 numbers(10 and 1,33), so i think it has to to something with these.
What considers me is that there might be some "hidden numbers" in the text, that i can't read out at the moment.
please read this too:I understand that it very rude to come to this forum like that, and create a thread, what might already have answer, but I really need help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Mr. Floyd! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Mr. Floyd said:
I understand that it very rude to come to this forum like that, and create a thread, what might already have answer, but I really need help.

No, that's exactly what you're supposed to do! :smile:
There's a lamp in the bottom of the lake. If you watch the lamp from the surface(out of the water) and your eyesight is crossed with the lake, you can see a bright circle. Radius of the circle is 10 meters. Refractive index of the water is 1,33. how deep in the water the lamp is.

I don't completely understand the question :redface:,

but it looks as if it's about the angle of total internal reflection. :wink:

pictures always help in my opinion, and you use what Tiny-Tim stated

ERZlp.jpg

Related to Radius divided or multiplied by refractive index?

1. What is the meaning of "radius divided by refractive index"?

The radius divided by refractive index is a mathematical expression that represents the ratio of the radius of a curved surface to the refractive index of the medium surrounding the surface. It is commonly used in optics and physics to calculate the bending of light as it passes through different materials.

2. How is the radius divided by refractive index related to the speed of light?

The radius divided by refractive index is inversely proportional to the speed of light in a medium. This means that as the radius increases, the refractive index decreases, and the speed of light increases. This relationship is described by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles of incidence and refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two media.

3. What is the significance of the radius divided by refractive index in optics?

The radius divided by refractive index is an important quantity in optics because it determines the amount of bending that light undergoes when passing through a medium. It also plays a crucial role in the design and construction of lenses, prisms, and other optical devices, as it affects their ability to focus and manipulate light.

4. How does the radius divided by refractive index affect the apparent position of objects?

The radius divided by refractive index affects the apparent position of objects by causing them to appear closer or farther than they actually are. This is due to the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different refractive index, causing the light rays to change direction and making the object appear to be in a different location.

5. Can the radius divided by refractive index be negative?

No, the radius divided by refractive index cannot be negative. The radius is always a positive value, and the refractive index is also a positive value for transparent materials. However, in some cases, the radius divided by refractive index can be less than one, indicating a decrease in the bending of light as it passes through the medium.