Radius and Interval of Convergence for (x/sin(n))^n

In summary, the radius of convergence for the series \sum_{1}^{\infty}(\frac{x}{sinn})^{n} is zero and it does not converge unless x equals zero. This is determined by using the nth term test and observing that the value of sin n can get very close to zero for infinitely many values of n.
Denis99
Find Radius and Interval of Convergence for \(\displaystyle \sum_{1}^{\infty}(\frac{x}{sinn})^{n}\).
I don`t have any ideas how to do that :/

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard method of determining the radius of convergence of power series is to use the "ratio test": [tex]\left|\left(\frac{x^{n+1}}{sin^{n+1}(n+1)}\right)\left(\frac{sin^n(n)}{x^n}\right)\right|= |x|\frac{sin^n(n)}{sin^{n+1}(n+1)}[/tex].

The radius of convergence is 1 over the limit of the fraction.

Country Boy said:
The standard method of determining the radius of convergence of power series is to use the "ratio test": [tex]\left|\left(\frac{x^{n+1}}{sin^{n+1}(n+1)}\right)\left(\frac{sin^n(n)}{x^n}\right)\right|= |x|\frac{sin^n(n)}{sin^{n+1}(n+1)}[/tex].

The radius of convergence is 1 over the limit of the fraction.

Thank you for your answer :)
I was thinking about this, but is there a way to calculate limit of this fraction? Sinuses are problematic for me in this limit.

Denis99 said:
Find Radius and Interval of Convergence for \(\displaystyle \sum_{1}^{\infty}(\frac{x}{sinn})^{n}\).
I don't have any ideas how to do that :/
The ratio test won't work in this example. I think you will find that in this case the radius of convergence is zero. To see that, use the "$n$th term test": if the $n$th term of a series does not tend to zero then the series does not converge.

Informally, the argument goes like this. The value of $\sin n$ varies in a fairly random way in the interval $[-1,1]$, but from time to time it gets very close to zero. Now suppose that $x\ne0$. For infinitely many values of $n$, $\sin n$ will be small enough that $\left|\dfrac x{\sin n}\right| >1$. That shows that $\left(\dfrac x{\sin n}\right)^n \not\to0$, so the series \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\dfrac x{\sin n}\right)^n\) does not converge.

Related to Radius and Interval of Convergence for (x/sin(n))^n

1. What is the radius of convergence for (x/sin(n))^n?

The radius of convergence for (x/sin(n))^n is 1, meaning that the series will converge for all values of x within a distance of 1 from the center point 0.

2. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must be a positive value. A negative radius would not make sense in the context of a series.

3. How is the radius of convergence determined for (x/sin(n))^n?

The radius of convergence is determined by the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is taken as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and if it is greater than 1, the series will diverge.

4. What is the interval of convergence for (x/sin(n))^n?

The interval of convergence for (x/sin(n))^n is (-1,1), meaning that the series will converge for all values of x between -1 and 1, including the endpoints.

5. Can the interval of convergence be larger than (-1,1)?

No, the interval of convergence for (x/sin(n))^n will always be (-1,1). This is because the series will diverge for any values of x outside of this interval.