Radio telescope parabola question

In summary, the equation x^2=167y models the cross section of a 100ft radio telescope. The focus of the parabolic dish is at (167/4, 0). To find the depth of the dish, we can use the equation 2y=100ft and solve for y, which gives us y=50ft. Plugging this into the equation x^2=167y, we get x=2500/167, which is the depth of the dish. Multiplying 167 and 50 gives us 8350, which represents the area of the dish.
wat2000
If a particular radio telescope is 100ft in diameter and has a cross section modeled by the equation x^2=167y, how deep is the parabolic dish? What is the location of the focus?

can someone show me some steps to solving this? I have (167/4,0) as the focus for the second part but I am not sure if that's right. i just plugged in 4p=167 and divided to get the 167/4.

Physics news on Phys.org
well to start what is the defintion of a focus relative to a parabola?

for the depth you will know that 2y = 100ft

so y = 50 ft? where do i go from there?

Last edited:
could i do (1/67)x^2 with x=50 and square x and get 2500/167?

can someone show me some steps to solving this? I have (167/4,0) as the focus for the second part but I am not sure if that's right. i just plugged in 4p=167 and divided to get the 167/4.

Yes, that's right. The general equation for a vertical parabola is (x-h)^2=4p(y-k). Plugging in the point (1,1/167) gives you your answer.

As for the depth of the parabolic dish, draw a graph of x^2=167y. What is x when the diameter reaches 100 ft? What must y be?

its 50 right? If so does that make the depth 50?

if y = 50ft

then
x^2 = 167*y = 167(50)

now solve for x

wouldnt solving for x give me x= 2500/167?

Yes.

so would that give me my depth?so the focus would be 64/7 and the depth would be 14.97. and if so, what is the 8350 i got from multiplying 167 and 50?

I get 14.97 for y and 8350 for x. do i subtract 1497 from 8350 to get the depth?

Last edited:

Related to Radio telescope parabola question

1. What is a radio telescope parabola?

A radio telescope parabola is a large, curved dish that is used to collect and focus radio waves from outer space. This dish is typically made of metal or wire mesh and has a parabolic shape, which allows it to reflect and concentrate the radio waves onto a smaller receiver at the focal point.

2. How does a radio telescope parabola work?

The parabolic shape of the dish allows it to act as a reflector, directing incoming radio waves towards the focal point. At the focal point, a receiver collects and amplifies the radio waves, which can then be analyzed and studied by scientists.

3. How is the size of a radio telescope parabola determined?

The size of a radio telescope parabola is determined by the frequency of the radio waves it is designed to detect. Generally, the larger the dish, the more sensitive it is to faint signals and the greater the detail that can be observed.

4. What are some of the major radio telescope parabolas in the world?

Some well-known radio telescope parabolas include the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia, and the Very Large Array in New Mexico. These telescopes are used for a variety of research, including studying distant galaxies, mapping the Milky Way, and searching for signs of extraterrestrial life.

5. Can a radio telescope parabola be used for other types of waves?

Yes, radio telescope parabolas can also be used to study other types of waves, such as infrared, visible light, and X-rays. By using different receivers and detectors at the focal point, scientists can gather data on a wide range of electromagnetic waves and better understand the universe.