Radicals and using the definition

• MHB
  • Thread starter bergausstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary: But we can still use that idea that $\sqrt{a^2}$ will be the same size as $a$. We just have to put in a few "buts" and "ifs" and "maybes" to make it work:$\sqrt{a^2} = a$ if $a \ge 0$ (no problem there!)$\sqrt{a^2} = -a$ if $a < 0$ (trouble!)So, as long as we keep track of that minus sign, we're ok. It's just a bit of a nuisance.
bergausstein
can you tell me if there's a necessity to use the definition:

$\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2}=|x|$

to this,

$\displaystyle \sqrt{(x+y)^2}$

if yes, why? if not why?

and how it is different to

$\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{(x+y)}\right)^2$

thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
bergausstein said:
can you tell me if there's a necessity to use the definition:

$\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2}=|x|$

to this,

$\displaystyle \sqrt{(x+y)^2}$

if yes, why? if not why?

and how it is different to

$\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{(x+y)}\right)^2$

thanks!
You already know that any positive real number has two distinct square roots. One is positive and one is negative. Now suppose you want a machine (a function to be more precise) which takes a positive real number as the input and returns you the positive square root of the inputted number. Call this machine $M$.

It is then easy to see that $M(x^2)=|x|$.

It so happens that the standard notation for $M$ is actually $\sqrt{(\,)}$. It is as simple at that.

You can similarly have a machine $N$ which returns the negative square root of a given number.

It is again easy to see that $N(x^2)=-|x|$.

You can show further that $N\equiv-\sqrt{(\,)}$.

Tell me if you have any more questions.

To answer your question about how $\sqrt{(x+y)^2}$ is different from $x+y$, note that $\sqrt{(x+y)^2}$ is $|x+y|$.
Can you think of numbers $x$ and $y$ where $|x+y|\neq x+y$?

To answer your question about how $\sqrt{(x+y)^2}$ is different from $x+y$, note that $\sqrt{(x+y)^2}$ is $|x+y|$.
Can you think of numbers $x$ and $y$ where $|x+y|\neq x+y$?

when x and y are negative numbers. am I right? can you show me some examples.

i thought that

$\sqrt{(x+y)^2}$ is the same as $\left(\sqrt{(x+y)}\right)^2$

bergausstein said:
when x and y are negative numbers. am I right? can you show me some examples.

i thought that

$\sqrt{(x+y)^2}$ is the same as $\left(\sqrt{(x+y)}\right)^2$
First, the fact that this is a sum is irrelevant. It is simply a matter of [tex]\sqrt{a}= |a|[/tex] where a= x+ y. Yes, if x and y are both negative, then x+ y is negative so [tex]\sqrt{(x+ y)^2}= |x+ y|= -(x+ y)[/tex]. But they don't have to both be negative, just that x+ y be negative.

For example, it x= -30 and y= 5, then x+ y= -25 so that [tex](x+ y)^2= (-25)^2= 625[/tex] and then [tex]\sqrt{(x+ y)^2}= \sqrt{625}= 25= -(x+ y)[/tex].

Yes, it is still true that [tex]\sqrt{(x+ y)^2}= \left(\sqrt{x+ y}\right)^2[/tex] as long as [tex]x+ y\ge 0[/tex]. If x+ y< 0 then [tex]\sqrt{x+ y}[/tex] does not even exist (as a real number). If we extend to the complex numbers, the square root function is no longer singly valued so [tex]\sqrt{a^2}= |a|[/tex] is no longer true.

Imagine you have an elite calculator that can understand verbal instructions, and give verbal answers to certain mathematical questions.

So, if you tell this calculator: "tell me the square root of 9", it replies, "Three".

Now let's give this super-duper android some stuff to do.

Our idea is simple: first we'll give it a number, then ask it's square, then ask for the square root of the square. In diagram form:

$a \to a^2 \to \sqrt{a^2}$

Then, we'll do the steps in the reverse order (because our android is just THAT good):

$a \to \sqrt{a} \to (\sqrt{a})^2$.

We'll ask our cyborg friend to tell us what the "current state" is, after each step. Ok, ready? Let's go!

"Android, the input $a$ is $9$."

Our android does the first routine:

"9...calculating...81...calculating...9"

Next he (she? who knows?) does the second routine:

"9...calculating...3...calculating...9".

Well, both methods seem to give the same answer. Huh.

Let's try a different number:

"Android, the input $a$ is $-4$.

Androidess whirrs:

"-4...calculating...16...calculating...4".

Now for the second routine:

"-4...calculating...calculating...calc...ERROR! ERROR! routine undefined...a34eeee00x1...coredmp."hello.world"/daisy...dai...(bleeeeeeep)"

What went wrong? Android got confused when computing $\sqrt{-4}$.

Now we could get around this with $hotfixpatch/complex.numbers$, in which case Android might respond (with perhaps a bit less bravado):

"-4...calculating...(switch to patch mode)...calculating...$2i$...calculating...-4".

Now our two routines give different answers. So there must be something different about:

$\sqrt{a^2}$, and:

$(\sqrt{a})^2$

having to do with whether or not $a < 0$.

You see, squaring is "sneaky", it always spits out a positive number, even if we start with a negative one. So when we "unsquare" (take the square root), we might not get out what we started with:

$2 \to 4 \to 2$ (OK!)
$-2 \to 4 \to 2$ (what the...?)

Trying to "unsquare" a negative number leads to a peculiar problem: we feel that for $k > 0$ that $\sqrt{-k}$ ought to be "the same size" as $\sqrt{k}$, but neither $\sqrt{k}$ nor $-\sqrt{k}$ seems to do the trick. So whatever $\sqrt{-k}$ is, it's NOT on the normal "number line", it's off in some other direction.

Related to Radicals and using the definition

What is the definition of a radical?

The definition of a radical is a group of atoms bonded together that are reactive and have one or more unpaired electrons. Radicals are highly reactive and can be found in both organic and inorganic compounds.

How are radicals formed?

Radicals are formed when a covalent bond is broken, leaving an unpaired electron on one of the atoms. This creates an unstable molecule that is highly reactive and seeks to gain or lose an electron to become more stable.

What is the role of radicals in chemical reactions?

Radicals play a crucial role in many chemical reactions, serving as intermediates that help to break or form chemical bonds. They can also act as catalysts, speeding up reactions by providing an alternative pathway with lower activation energy.

Are radicals dangerous?

While some radicals can be dangerous, such as those found in pollutants and toxins, they are also essential for biological processes in the human body. Antioxidants, found in many fruits and vegetables, help to neutralize harmful radicals and protect our cells from damage.

How are radicals detected and studied?

Radicals can be detected and studied using various techniques such as electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. These methods allow scientists to identify and analyze the properties of radicals, providing important insights into their structure and behavior.