Radiation pressure from light source

In summary: Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of refracting the light as scattering. I assume that if the light beam changes direction between entering and exiting the lens then it must transfer momentum to the lens?Yes, the light must transfer momentum to the lens.
AdityaDev
The energy of photon is $$E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}$$
Now if we have an isotropic point light source of power P,
Number of photons $$N=\frac{P}{E} = \frac{P \lambda}{hc}$$
Hence one can find the change in momentum and hence the force exerted by a beam or light sources.
But let's say we keep an isotropic light source at a point on the optical axis of a convex lens such that rays emerge parallel to axis after refraction.The lens does not absorb nor reflect any light energy.
Then the force exerted by the light source on lens is given by:
$$F=\frac{P}{2c}(1-\frac{d}{\sqrt [2]{r^2 + d^2}} - \frac{r^2}{2(r^2 + d^2)})$$
How do derive the expression?
My attempt:
Lets say a ray approaches at an angle ##\theta##
Then initial momentum of a single photon = ##m(vcos\theta + vsin\theta )## and final momentum is ##mv##
Hence, $$\delta p = \frac {h}{\lambda}(1-cos\theta -sin\theta)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:
The energy of photon is $$E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}$$
Now if we have an isotropic point light source of power P,
Number of photons $$N=\frac{P}{E} = \frac{P \lambda}{hc}$$
Hence one can find the change in momentum and hence the force exerted by a beam or light sources.
But let's say we keep an isotropic light source at a point on the optical axis of a convex lens such that rays emerge parallel to axis after refraction.The lens does not absorb nor reflect any light energy.
$$F=\frac{P}{2c}(1-\frac{d}{\sqrt [2]{r^2 + d^2}} - \frac{r^2}{2(r^2 + d^2)})$$
How do derive the expression?
My attempt:
Lets say a ray approaches at an angle ##\theta##
Then initial momentum of a single photon = ##m(vcos\theta + vsin\theta )## and final momentum is ##mv##
Hence, $$\delta p = \frac {h}{\lambda}(1-cos\theta -sin\theta)$$
What's m? The mass of a photon is zero, instead the photon's momentum is given by ##p=E/c##

Vagn said:
What's m? The mass of a photon is zero, instead the photon's momentum is given by ##p=E/c##
That's only for relation. I am relating this to a case where you have a ball instead of photon but the final expression is correct

AdityaDev said:
.The lens does not absorb nor reflect any light energy.

I don't think the light can exert a force if it isn't reflected or absorbed.

AdityaDev said:
<snip>
But let's say we keep an isotropic light source at a point on the optical axis of a convex lens such that rays emerge parallel to axis after refraction.The lens does not absorb nor reflect any light energy.<snip>

This is more interesting than I thought: on the face of it, there is no net force because the light field appears symmetric: by analogy, objects located in the center of my optical trap experience no net force.

However, there is a the change in momentum along the optical axis, because a ray enters the lens at angle Θ with respect to the optical axis and leaves the lens parallel to the optical axis. In optical trapping it's sometimes referred to as the 'scattering force', and the previous paragraph then refers to the 'gradient force'. The formula you presented likely quantifies that; it looks familiar but I can't recall the context...

Andy Resnick said:
However, there is a the change in momentum along the optical axis, because a ray enters the lens at angle Θ with respect to the optical axis and leaves the lens parallel to the optical axis. In optical trapping it's sometimes referred to as the 'scattering force', and the previous paragraph then refers to the 'gradient force'.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of refracting the light as scattering. I assume that if the light beam changes direction between entering and exiting the lens then it must transfer momentum to the lens?

Drakkith said:
I assume that if the light beam changes direction between entering and exiting the lens then it must transfer momentum to the lens?
Of course, conservation of momentum.

Andy Resnick said:
This is more interesting than I thought: on the face of it, there is no net force because the light field appears symmetric: by analogy, objects located in the center of my optical trap experience no net force.

However, there is a the change in momentum along the optical axis, because a ray enters the lens at angle Θ with respect to the optical axis and leaves the lens parallel to the optical axis. In optical trapping it's sometimes referred to as the 'scattering force', and the previous paragraph then refers to the 'gradient force'. The formula you presented likely quantifies that; it looks familiar but I can't recall the context...
I have posted a picture of my attempt. I not good in LaTeX code. Please go through it and correct my mistakes if you can. It will benefit me a lot. I am close to the answer

AdityaDev said:
I<snip> I am close to the answer

I agree!

Andy Resnick said:
I agree!
Where am I going wrong?
These type of question comes in Olympiads and entrance exams.
Why not a separate forum for Olympiads and entrance exams?

I have been trying this problem for 2 days.
Where am I going wrong? I have uploaded the working. (Picture oriented sideways and deleted by Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Radiation pressure from light source

What is radiation pressure from a light source?

Radiation pressure from a light source is the force exerted by light on an object. This force is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons in the light to the object.

How is radiation pressure calculated?

Radiation pressure is calculated using the formula P = I/c, where P is the pressure, I is the intensity of the light, and c is the speed of light. This formula is based on the fact that light carries momentum, and the higher the intensity of the light, the greater the radiation pressure.

What are some real-life applications of radiation pressure from light sources?

Radiation pressure from light sources has various applications, including optical tweezers for manipulating tiny particles, solar sails for spacecraft propulsion, and laser cooling for trapping and cooling atoms.

Can radiation pressure cause damage to objects?

Yes, radiation pressure can cause damage to objects, especially if the light source is intense and focused. This can result in melting, vaporization, or even structural damage to the object.

How does the color of light affect radiation pressure?

The color of light does not directly affect radiation pressure. However, the intensity of the light, which is related to its color, does impact the amount of radiation pressure exerted on an object.