Radiation Pressure Force on Earth

In summary, the intensity of sunlight reaching the Earth is 1360 W/m^2. Using the equations for intensity and force, the radiation pressure force on the Earth is 5.78*10^8 N. When compared to the gravitational force of the sun on the Earth, the ratio is 1.64*10^-14, which can be expressed as a percentage by multiplying by 100, resulting in a value of 0.00000000000000164%.
sharrington3

Homework Statement

The intensity of sunlight reaching the Earth is [tex] 1360 \frac{W}{m^2}[/tex].
a.) Assuming all sunlight is absorbed, what is the radiation pressure force on the earth? Give your answer in Newtons. [tex]F_r=[/tex]
b.) Give your answer as a fraction of the suns gravitational force on the earth. [tex] \frac{F_r}{F_g}= [/tex]

Homework Equations

Intenisty is given by [tex] I= \frac{P}{A}[/tex] where P power and A is the cross sectional area.
Force is given by [tex]F=\frac{P}{c}=\frac{IA}{c}[/tex] where c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part correctly, no problem. I got that the radiation pressure force was [tex] 5.78*10^8 N[/tex]
For the second part, I simply divided this number by the gravitational force of the sun on the earth, which I found to be [tex] F_g=3.53*10^{22} N [/tex]
When I divided these two numbers, I got [tex]\frac{F_r}{F_g}= 1.64*10^{-14}[/tex] which of course should have no units. However, the problem asks for units, so I put in Newtons anyways, and I was told the my answer must have dimensions of percent (I wasn't aware a unitless quantity had dimensions). So, I slapped in % sign. I was then told to try again; that I was wrong. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
A fraction of 1 would correspond to 100%. A fraction of 1.64*1014 corresponds to...?

Related to Radiation Pressure Force on Earth

1. What is radiation pressure force on Earth?

The radiation pressure force on Earth is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation, such as sunlight, on objects on Earth's surface. This force is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons in the radiation to the objects they come into contact with.

2. How does radiation pressure force affect the Earth?

Radiation pressure force has various effects on Earth. It contributes to the Earth's climate by heating the surface and atmosphere, and it also plays a role in the planet's weather patterns. Additionally, radiation pressure force can cause objects to move or accelerate, such as in the case of solar sails.

3. Is radiation pressure force harmful to humans?

In small doses, radiation pressure force is not harmful to humans. In fact, we rely on it for warmth and light from the sun. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of radiation can have damaging effects on human health, such as increasing the risk of cancer.

4. How is radiation pressure force measured on Earth?

Radiation pressure force can be measured using instruments such as radiometers, which detect the amount of electromagnetic radiation being absorbed or reflected by an object. The force can also be calculated using the properties of the radiation, such as its intensity and wavelength.

5. Can radiation pressure force be harnessed for energy?

Yes, radiation pressure force can be harnessed for energy in various ways. Solar panels, for example, use the force of sunlight to generate electricity. Solar sails, which use the force of photons pushing against a large reflective surface, can also be used for propulsion in space missions.