Radiation Dose Rate from 60Co γ-Ray Source

In summary: So, if the source is a sphere, it will deliver a larger dose to someone standing closer to the center of the sphere than someone standing further away.
Hazzattack

Homework Statement

Some people are standing at a distance of 3 m from an unshielded 60Co γ-ray source of activity
10^9 Bq. What radiation dose rate are they receiving? (Each disintegration of 60Co produces a
β particle of 0.3 MeV maximum energy with a range 0.8 m in air, and two γ rays, one of 1.2 MeV and one of 1.3 MeV, in quick cascade).

Homework Equations

dDose/dt = AE/r^2

A = activity
E = energy of photons
r = distance from source

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a bit of a loose end with this question as I've not been given any guidance - perhaps someone could suggest a relevant website to explain?
Due to the Beta particle traveling only 0.8m does this mean it doesn't reach the people standing 3m away? or does it decay into other particles?
Do i at some point calculate the flux of the rays? as i put the r^2 term in as i assumed it to be like a point source and diverging away (thus a 1/r^2 relation)

Thanks for any help and guidance on this question!

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to the Beta particle traveling only 0.8m does this mean it doesn't reach the people standing 3m away?
Right. An electron is an elementary particle, it cannot decay. It can produce Bremsstrahlung (photons), but that can be neglected I think - even if its total energy would be converted to Bremsstrahlung, 0.3 MeV << (1.2 MeV + 1.3 MeV).

as i put the r^2 term in as i assumed it to be like a point source and diverging away (thus a 1/r^2 relation)
That is fine for the radiation per area. You might need some additional conversion to get a radiation dose rate for those humans.

Ok... so do i just multiply it by the approximate area of a human?

I would have Radiation/area * area(of human) = radiation dose/per time(comes from the activity)

If humans absorb every photon which hits them, right. As an upper estimate, this should be fine.

This is a poorly worded question and you should tak your instructor (or the editor of the book) to task. The formula is (usually) the exposure rate, not the dose rate since not all gammas that pass through the body will be absorbed completely. In addition, the inverse square law applies only to point particles or geometries that approximate point particles.

Related to Radiation Dose Rate from 60Co γ-Ray Source

1. What is a 60Co γ-Ray Source?

A 60Co γ-Ray Source is a radioactive source that emits gamma rays from the radioactive isotope cobalt-60. It is commonly used in medical and industrial applications, such as cancer treatment and sterilization of medical equipment.

2. How is the radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source measured?

The radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source is measured in units of milli-Sieverts per hour (mSv/h) using a radiation detector such as a Geiger-Muller counter. This measures the amount of radiation absorbed per unit of time.

3. What factors affect the radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source?

The radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source, the strength of the source, and the shielding material between the source and the detector. The type of radiation (gamma, beta, or alpha) and the half-life of the isotope can also affect the dose rate.

4. What is a safe level of exposure to the radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source?

The safe level of exposure to the radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source varies depending on the purpose of exposure. For occupational exposure, the recommended limit is 50 mSv per year. For the general public, the limit is 1 mSv per year. However, these limits may vary depending on local regulations and specific circumstances.

5. How can the radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source be reduced?

The radiation dose rate from a 60Co γ-Ray Source can be reduced by increasing the distance from the source, using shielding materials such as lead or concrete, and limiting the exposure time. Proper training and handling of the source can also help reduce the risk of exposure. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the source can also help ensure safe levels of radiation exposure.