R.I.P. Phyllis Diller died today.

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Phyllis Diller was a self-deprecating pioneer in comedy who was known for her strange comedic persona. She was also an accomplished concert pianist and gourmet cook. Despite her stage persona, Diller had a strong passion for the arts and received good reviews for her performances. She was a beloved figure in the entertainment industry and will be remembered for her unique style and attitude.
Jimmy Snyder
Haa! Fang says he's going out to get a good meal.

Physics news on Phys.org
She was quite a character. R.I.P.

Loved her persona!

Ms. Diller had a strange comedic persona. I never could get used to it.

She was an accomplished concert pianist and gourmet cook.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/20/154540372/phyllis-diller-comedys-self-deprecating-pioneer

But in real life Diller never let her looks get in the way. In addition to standup, movies and TV, she was an avid painter and a classically trained pianist. She performed with dozens of symphony orchestras as the character Dame Illya Dillya. She even got some pretty good reviews.

Diller was also a gourmet cook, unlike her stage persona.

. . . .

She certainly had the right attitude.

RIP, Phyllis.

Astronuc said:
Ms. Diller had a strange comedic persona. I never could get used to it.
I watched her on TV as a teen, and loved her and her maniacal laugh. You had to be in "the zone" to appreciate her. Milton Berle was an acquired taste, too, IMO, but he had his place even if he provided his own laugh-track most of the time. (Diller did the same!)

Mudbug said:
We seem to have a lot of famous 'deaths' this year so far.

"Truly famous", lots of wanna-bees croaking all the time but they don't have the staying power of those from our youth that really made an impression on the world.

RIP PD.

Related to R.I.P. Phyllis Diller died today.

1. Who was Phyllis Diller and what was her cause of death?

Phyllis Diller was an American actress, comedian, and author. She passed away on August 20, 2012 at the age of 95. Her cause of death was reported as natural causes.

2. What were some of Phyllis Diller's most famous works or accomplishments?

Phyllis Diller was best known for her stand-up comedy and her quick wit. She was one of the first female comedians to become a household name and paved the way for other female comedians. She also appeared in numerous films and TV shows, and wrote several books.

3. How did Phyllis Diller impact the entertainment industry?

Phyllis Diller's impact on the entertainment industry was significant. She broke barriers for female comedians and showed that women could be just as funny and successful as men in the industry. She also inspired many comedians with her unique style and comedic timing.

4. What was Phyllis Diller like as a person?

Phyllis Diller was known for her larger-than-life personality and her sharp sense of humor. She was also described as generous, kind, and down-to-earth by those who knew her personally. She had a passion for making people laugh and bringing joy to others.

5. How will Phyllis Diller be remembered?

Phyllis Diller will be remembered as a trailblazer in the entertainment industry and a comedic legend. Her legacy will continue to inspire future generations of comedians and her impact on the industry will not be forgotten. She will also be remembered as a kind and generous person who brought joy and laughter to many people's lives.