R^2=9cos(3Ө) Convert to rectangular cordinates

In summary: Your equation, r^2= 9cos(3Ө) is r^2= 9cos^3(Ө)- 9 sin^2(Ө) cos(Ө).I would mulriply both sides by r^3 to get r^5= 9r^3cos^3(Ө)- 9 (r^2 sin^2(\theta))(rcos(\theta). Now replace r sin(Ө) by y and r cos(Ө) by x:r^5= 9y^2x^3. Further, r= (x^2+ y^2)^(1/2) and r^5
bubbly616

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-In order for me to figure out this problem I had to reverse the equality to isolate the Ө on the left side making the new equation 9cos(3Ө)=r^2. The first thing I’m going to do is change cos(3Ө) in terms of cos and sin. That will make my new equation 9(2cos^3Ө – cosӨ – 2sin^2ӨcosӨ) = r^2. Now since r^2 will just reduce to x^2 + y^2 I am now left with the equation 9(2cos^3Ө – cosӨ – 2sin^2ӨcosӨ) = x^2 + y^2. After this I have no idea what comes next.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any reason to "isolate the Ө". You are, however, wrong about cos(3Ө). You know, I presume, that cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b) and sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)+ cos(a)sin(b) so that cos(2Ө)= cos^2(Ө)- sin^2(Ө) and sin(2Ө)= 2sin(Ө)cos(Ө). Then cos(3Ө)= cos(2Ө+ Ө)= cos(2Ө)cos(Ө)- sin(2Ө)sin(Ө)= (cos^2(Ө)- sin^2(Ө))cos(Ө)- 2sin(Ө)cos(Ө)(sin(Ө))= cos^3(Ө)- 3sin^2(Ө)cos(Ө).

Your equation, r^2= 9cos(3Ө) is r^2= 9cos^3(Ө)- 9 sin^2(Ө) cos(Ө).

I would mulriply both sides by r^3 to get r^5= 9r^3cos^3(Ө)- 9 (r^2 sin^2(\theta))(rcos(\theta). Now replace r sin(Ө) by y and r cos(Ө) by x:
r^5= 9y^2x^3. Further, r= (x^2+ y^2)^(1/2) and r^5= (x^2+ y^2)^{5/2} so (x^2+ y^2)^{5/2}= 9x^3y^2. If you don't want the 1/2 power, square both sides:
x^2+ y^2= 81x^6y^4.

bubbly616 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-In order for me to figure out this problem I had to reverse the equality to isolate the Ө on the left side making the new equation 9cos(3Ө)=r^2. The first thing I’m going to do is change cos(3Ө) in terms of cos and sin. That will make my new equation 9(2cos^3Ө – cosӨ – 2sin^2ӨcosӨ) = r^2. Now since r^2 will just reduce to x^2 + y^2 I am now left with the equation 9(2cos^3Ө – cosӨ – 2sin^2ӨcosӨ) = x^2 + y^2. After this I have no idea what comes next.
Hello bubbly616. Welcome to PF !

In the future:
Please include all information regarding the statement of your problem in "

Homework Statement

", even if the information is in the title of the thread.

bubbly616 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I don't think you are going to find a simple algebraic expression for r in terms of x and y cartesian coordinates, especially when the RHS of the equation evaluates to a negative value.

Related to R^2=9cos(3Ө) Convert to rectangular cordinates

1. What is the meaning of R^2=9cos(3Ө)?

R^2=9cos(3Ө) is a polar equation that represents a cardioid, or heart-shaped curve, centered at the origin. The value of R^2 is equal to 9 times the cosine of 3 times the angle (Ө) in radians.

2. How do you convert this polar equation to rectangular coordinates?

To convert R^2=9cos(3Ө) to rectangular coordinates, we can use the equations x = R*cos(Ө) and y = R*sin(Ө). This gives us the rectangular coordinates (9cos(3Ө)*cos(Ө), 9cos(3Ө)*sin(Ө)).

3. What is the significance of the number 9 in this equation?

The number 9 represents the amplitude of the cosine function in this equation. It determines the maximum distance of the curve from the origin and affects the overall shape of the cardioid.

4. Can this equation be graphed on a rectangular coordinate system?

Yes, this equation can be graphed on a rectangular coordinate system by converting it to rectangular coordinates. The resulting graph will be a heart-shaped curve centered at the origin.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of R and Ө in this equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of R and Ө in this equation. R must be greater than or equal to 0, and Ө must be between 0 and 2π radians (or 0 and 360 degrees). This ensures that the curve stays within the boundaries of the polar coordinate system.