Quoting Closed Threads: Is It Worth the Risk?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to quote a post in a closed thread. It is mentioned that this is probably because only moderators can reply to closed threads. Other options for quoting are suggested, such as copying and pasting or asking a mentor for the source code. The idea of being able to quote in a new thread is also brought up, but concerns are raised about this potentially causing problems. The conversation ends with the assurance that the intentions are noble and the issue being acknowledged.
dkotschessaa
I just noticed that when a thread is closed, we lose the option to "quote."

It makes sense, obviously that I cannot quote them in the same (closed) thread. But I would like to open a new thread which quotes it (usually this is some tangent that we avoided originally).

Just putting it in the suggestion box for review. Thanks!

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you click the "+Quote" button? Afterwards, open the thread where you want to quote the post and click "Insert quotes".
Edit: Okay, checked it, that only works with mentor rights.

You can always mark the text and copy it via your browser, but that loses the formatting. If there is complicated formatting that you want to keep, you can ask a mentor.

Random closed topic to test.

mfb said:
Can you click the "+Quote" button? Afterwards, open the thread where you want to quote the post and click "Insert quotes".
It works for me, but I'm not sure if that is due to mentor rights.

Nope. Here's a screencap of the last post in the test thread you posted. No +Quote button.

upload_2016-12-22_11-24-29.png

You can always mark the text and copy it via your browser, but that loses the formatting.

Random closed topic to test.

Yeah, it'd be nice to use the quote feature. It keeps formatting and other good info.

-Dave K

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-22_11-23-7.png
    upload_2016-12-22_11-23-7.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 386
I updated my post a bit before you posted. If the formatting is important and complex, you can ask a mentor to get the source code.

mfb said:
I updated my post a bit before you posted. If the formatting is important and complex, you can ask a mentor to get the source code.

I am much too lazy for that. :biggrin: It's just a matter of convenience, so I post the suggestion if it is easy to change. Based on what you are saying, the +Quote option is only available if you are able to reply to the thread, (which, as a moderator you can probably do if the thread is closed.) So it is probably not so easy to make it behave otherwise.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
But I would like to open a new thread which quotes it (usually this is some tangent that we avoided originally).

Do you really, really want to do this? Whatever your intentions are, I am reasonably sure that the most popular use will be to restart conversations that were stopped for a reason.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you really, really want to do this? Whatever your intentions are, I am reasonably sure that the most popular use will be to restart conversations that were stopped for a reason.

I assure you as a paragon of online etiquette and model user of this forum I personally have nothing but the most noble of intentions and would never think of doing such a thing.

But OK fair enough. Good point.

-Dave K

Likes dlgoff

Related to Quoting Closed Threads: Is It Worth the Risk?

1. What is "quoting from a closed thread"?

"Quoting from a closed thread" refers to the act of copying and pasting text from a discussion thread that has been closed, meaning that no further comments or replies can be added.

2. Why would someone want to quote from a closed thread?

There are a few reasons someone might want to quote from a closed thread. It could be to reference a previous conversation or to provide context for a discussion in a new thread. It could also be to continue a conversation that was cut short due to the thread being closed.

3. Is it allowed to quote from a closed thread?

It depends on the specific forum or platform where the thread is located. Some may have rules against quoting from closed threads, while others may allow it. It's always best to check the guidelines or ask a moderator before doing so.

4. Can I quote from a closed thread without permission?

Again, this depends on the rules of the forum or platform. Some may require permission from the original poster or moderator before quoting from a closed thread, while others may allow it without permission. It's always best to check before doing so to avoid any potential issues.

5. Are there any potential consequences for quoting from a closed thread?

If it is against the rules of the forum or platform, there could be consequences such as a warning or even a ban. Additionally, quoting from a closed thread without context or proper attribution could lead to confusion or misinterpretation of information. It's important to follow the rules and use quotes responsibly.