Quoted Text Formatting Errors: A Common Mistake in Online Communication?

• Thread starter A.T.
  • Start date
In summary, people use formatting tags in a way that is not consistent, which leads to the text being broken into smaller pieces.
A.T.
Science Advisor
I sometimes notice that quoted text has inconsistent font size. When you look at the BB-code it's full of redundant SIZE and I (italic) tags. Recently one of those format tags wasn't even closed properly, which broke the QUOTE itself tag, splitting the quote in two.

Has anyone noticed this? I saw it in Chrome so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you point to the thread you have seen it? Could be the original post was already (mis)formatted.

Things people do to format their posts... keep me amused.

Borek said:
Can you point to the thread you have seen it? Could be the original post was already (mis)formatted.
I think it happens when you have mismatched QUOTE-tags in the rich text editor and press PREVIEW. Try it on any post:
- Quote it
- In the rich text editor duplicate just the opening QUOTE-tag and place it
somewhere in the middle of the quoted text
- Press PREVIEW
- Now delete the duplicate opening QUOTE-tag, or add a closing QUOTE tag
before it (as if to split the quote in two)
- Press PREVIEW

What I sometimes observe is: The post is messed up even if you correct the QUOTE-tags. The QUOTE-tags (unlike the format tags) show up in the rich text editor. Which is good, because it allows to manually split a quote into parts. But if you make a mistake there, mess happens which is hard to undo.

Here is an example:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/galilean-relativity-kinetic-energy.779463/#post-4900066

Note the variable font size in the quoted text. The original post has consistent font size, but might have some redundant SIZE=4-tags, which have no visible effect (in the rich-text editor and the final post), because it's also the default font size. But when the text gets quoted, the font size is reduced, except within the tags. Such redundant SIZE are easily created unwittingly, when instead of using the QUOTE function you just copy & paste text from the a post (which is often quicker) .

Possible solutions:
- Disable the size reduction for quotes
- Clean up the redundant SIZE tags in quoted text.
- Clean up the redundant SIZE tags when pasting text into the rich-text editor

Unfortunately it is GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. People format their posts in a random way for no apparent reasons, then something fails. It was a problem already when we had only UBBC editor, now RTF adds new ways of of misusing formatting. No idea how easy it is to modify quoted text @Greg Bernhardt

Borek said:
RTF adds new ways of of misusing formatting.
It's not deliberate misusing. Copy & pasting text around is a standard action that people are used to. The problem is that in the RT editor you don't see those tags, but they mess up the effect of tags put around the whole thing, by the software later.

Disabling the size reduction in quotes seems like the simplest
solution. IMHO it's a bad idea anyway: When you set your browser to a certain font size that you are comfortable with, it's annoying when quoted text is smaller and harder to read.

A.T. said:
It's not deliberate misusing.

I don't mean deliberate - in many cases it is an effect of people not knowing what they do and not understanding principles behind.

There was a time I worked preparing books and brochures for publication, typically from the text supplied as Microsoft Word/Office documents. Things people do to keep the text formatted more or less as they want it are incredible. Since then nothing surprises me.

Related to Quoted Text Formatting Errors: A Common Mistake in Online Communication?

1. Why is the formatting of my quote messed up?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to an error in the code used to format the quote, or it could be caused by incompatible formatting styles between different sources.

2. How can I fix the formatting of my quote?

The first step would be to identify the source of the issue. If it's an error in the code, you can correct it by checking for any missing or incorrect tags. If it's an issue with incompatible styles, you may need to change the formatting of one or both sources to match.

3. Can using different font styles cause quote formatting to be messed up?

Yes, using different font styles can definitely cause formatting issues with quotes. If you are copying and pasting a quote from a different source, make sure to match the font style and size to your own formatting to avoid any issues.

4. Is there a specific way to format quotes to avoid any issues?

Yes, there are some best practices for formatting quotes to avoid any problems. It's important to use quotation marks or italics to indicate that the text is a quote. Additionally, make sure to use consistent formatting throughout your document to maintain a cohesive look.

5. Can a plugin or extension cause quote formatting to be messed up?

Yes, sometimes a plugin or extension can interfere with the formatting of quotes. If you notice any issues with quote formatting, try disabling any recently installed plugins or extensions to see if that resolves the problem.