Quitting Internship: Advice for Physics BS w/ 3.38 GPA

• Thread starter scikris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether it is a bad idea to quit their research position with a professor in the university's physics department. They are a senior with a 3.38 GPA and had a successful internship last summer. The individual is considering quitting because they find their work to be pointless and would rather enjoy their summer. They also have difficulty communicating with their boss and a graduate student due to language barriers. They are seeking insight on whether quitting would have a negative impact on their future prospects.
scikris
Hey guys, I need some advice... So I'm doing research with a professor in my university's physics department and I really want to quit, is this a terrible idea for my future? I'm going into my senior year as a physics BS with a 3.38 gpa. Last summer I had a pretty good internship that I stuck through, and I am going to end up being a supper senior so I will have another chance at research next summer.

Any insite would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to quit? Quitting for anything but an exceptional reason is certainly not going to help your case for graduate school or future employment prospects.

Because I feel like what I'm doing is pointless and I would rather be enjoying my summer than sitting in a windowless office typing on mathematica all day long. Plus my boss assumes I know WAY more than I should for my level of student and I can't understand the grad student that I can ask for help because he is middle eastern and has a heavy accent. Pretty much just hating everything so far this summer and I want to make the best of it, I feel like the best way to do that would be to quit and get a different job for the remainder.

Related to Quitting Internship: Advice for Physics BS w/ 3.38 GPA

1. Can I quit my internship if I am not enjoying it?

Yes, you have the right to quit your internship if you are not enjoying it. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences and discuss with your supervisor before making a decision.

2. Will quitting my internship affect my future job opportunities?

It is possible that quitting an internship may have some impact on your future job opportunities, as it may reflect poorly on your work ethic and commitment. However, if you have a valid reason for quitting and can explain it professionally, it should not greatly impact your future prospects.

3. Should I quit my internship if it is not related to my field of study?

If your internship is not related to your field of study, it may not be the best use of your time and energy. However, it is important to consider the skills and experiences you are gaining, as well as the potential networking opportunities, before making a decision.

4. What should I do if I want to quit my internship?

If you are seriously considering quitting your internship, it is important to have a conversation with your supervisor or HR representative. Explain your reasons for wanting to quit and discuss potential solutions or alternatives. It is important to maintain professionalism and give notice if possible.

5. Is it better to quit my internship than to continue and perform poorly?

If you are struggling with your internship and feel that you are not performing well, it may be better to have a conversation with your supervisor and see if there are any ways to improve the situation. However, if you are truly unhappy and do not see any potential for improvement, it may be better to quit and focus on finding a better fit for your skills and interests.