Quick stress calculation with one force on an I-Beam

In summary: But you need to solve the beam to get the correct bending moment first.In summary, to determine the state of stress at point A on the cross section of the beam at section a-a, the bending moment and y value need to be calculated correctly. The bending moment should be solved for using the support reactions at the ends, and y should be the difference between the centroid of the beam and the location of point A. Then, dividing the bending moment by the moment of inertia of the I-beam cross section will give the correct bending stress at point A.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

Determine the state of stress at point A on the cross section of the beam at section a−a. TakeP = 33kN .

Homework Equations

σ = My/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment = Fd = 33000N(500mm) = 165000000
Y = 90.71 (100-9.29, 9.29 being the Ybar of the little piece)
I = 22926666.67 (used on Part B and was correct)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
Bluestribute said:

Homework Statement

Determine the state of stress at point A on the cross section of the beam at section a−a. TakeP = 33kN .

Homework Equations

σ = My/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment = Fd = 33000N(500mm) = 165000000
Y = 90.71 (100-9.29, 9.29 being the Ybar of the little piece)
I = 22926666.67 (used on Part B and was correct)
It's not clear what the "little piece" means. In any event, the I-beam has two axes of symmetry, so the location of its centroid can be found by inspection.

The beam will have shear stress and bending stress created at section a-a. You should solve this beam to find the support reactions at the ends and use these reactions to create the shear force and bending moment diagrams. The value of the moment you have calculated is not the correct bending moment for this problem.

For calculating the shear stress at point A, you should show your calculation of the first moment Q of the area of the beam above point A.

Since this beam is 200 mm deep in total and point A is located 50 mm below the topmost fiber, y measured from the centroid of the beam can be found by simple subtraction.

I'm just looking for the normal here. My big question is did I calculate Y right (the beam has a height of 200, so it's center is at 100, 100-9.29 where the "A" Ybar is is how I got 90.71. And moment I did . . . as shown up above . . .

Bluestribute said:
I'm just looking for the normal here.
Are you looking only for the bending stress? The problem statement asks for the state of stress at point A.

My big question is did I calculate Y right (the beam has a height of 200, so it's center is at 100, 100-9.29 where the "A" Ybar is is how I got 90.71. And moment I did . . . as shown up above . . .

For σ = My / I, the y value is a simple measurement from the centroid of the beam to point A. It is not a y-bar.

Since the centroid of the entire beam is located 100 mm below the top fiber, and point A is located 50 mm below the top fiber, y is just the difference between these two distances. It's not clear what 9.29 represents, but it's not what you need to calculate the bending stress of this beam.

You should solve this beam to find the support reactions at the ends and use these reactions to create the shear force and bending moment diagrams. The value of the moment you have calculated is not the correct bending moment for this problem.

Yeah, I already have the other stress.

So I have to solve the moment diagram to find M, Y is just 50mm (where "A" is located), and then divide?

Bluestribute said:
Yeah, I already have the other stress.

So I have to solve the moment diagram to find M, Y is just 50mm (where "A" is located), and then divide?

Divide by I for the I-beam cross section to find σ, yes.

Related to Quick stress calculation with one force on an I-Beam

1. What is the formula for calculating stress on an I-Beam with one force?

The formula for calculating stress on an I-Beam with one force is stress = force/area. This is known as the stress formula and is used to determine the amount of stress that a material experiences when subjected to a force.

2. What is considered a "quick" stress calculation?

A quick stress calculation is one that can be done easily and efficiently without the need for complex equations or calculations. In the case of an I-Beam with one force, a quick stress calculation can be done using the stress formula mentioned above.

3. How do I determine the area of an I-Beam for stress calculations?

The area of an I-Beam can be determined by multiplying the width by the height of the beam. In some cases, the manufacturer may provide the area of the I-Beam, but it can also be calculated using this method.

4. Can I use this stress calculation for any type of I-Beam?

Yes, the stress calculation using one force can be applied to any type of I-Beam as long as the dimensions and material properties are known. However, it is important to note that different types of I-Beams may have different load capacities and stress tolerances.

5. What are some other factors that may affect the stress calculation of an I-Beam with one force?

Other factors that may affect the stress calculation of an I-Beam with one force include the material properties of the beam, such as its yield strength and elasticity, as well as any external forces or loads acting on the beam. Additionally, the length and support conditions of the beam may also impact the stress calculation.