Quick question on plotting graph/stuff

• Thread starter ibysaiyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plotting
In summary, the person is asking for clarification on how to plot a graph with given data and error bars and how to draw two lines through the origin. They are unsure if the lines should go through the error bars or if the graph should be a smooth curve instead of a straight line.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi there
I have got my pratical tomorrow anyhow there is one thing of which i am bit iffy about. I am given a question where it asks me to plot graph with given data and error bars as well.Next question asks me to draw two lines (a line of steepest and least steep ) through the origin or wherever it starts.Would i plot both lines by having them going through my error bars or how?is this true method to draw both of the extreme lines?
Note:The actual graph is a smooth continuous curvature.
Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ibysaiyan said:
Would i plot both lines by having them going through my error bars

More or less that's the idea.

I don't see how or why you should have to draw a straight line (with gradient to be estimated) through a set of points that is a smooth curve.
Is it supposed to be a curve; or has it come out looking that way but should really be a straight line?

Related to Quick question on plotting graph/stuff

1. How do I plot a graph in my experiment?

To plot a graph, you will need to first determine the independent and dependent variables of your experiment. Then, choose an appropriate type of graph (such as a bar graph, line graph, or scatter plot) to represent your data. Use a ruler or graphing software to plot the data points accurately. Finally, label your axes and add a title to your graph.

2. What is the purpose of plotting a graph in scientific research?

Plots and graphs are used in scientific research to visually represent data and trends. They allow for easier interpretation and analysis of the data, making it easier to draw conclusions and identify patterns. Graphs also help to communicate findings and results to others in a clear and concise manner.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale for my graph?

The scale of your graph will depend on the range of values for your data. If your data has a wide range of values, you may need to use a logarithmic scale to avoid a large amount of empty space on your graph. If your data has a small range of values, a linear scale may be more appropriate. It is also important to choose a scale that is easy to read and understand.

4. Can I use a computer program to plot my graph?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software available for graphing and data analysis. Some popular options include Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, and R. These programs often have built-in features for creating and customizing graphs, making it easier to produce high-quality and professional-looking plots.

5. How do I interpret the data on my graph?

Interpreting data on a graph involves analyzing the patterns and trends shown by the data points. Look for relationships between the independent and dependent variables, such as a direct or inverse relationship. You can also calculate and analyze the slope or trendline of the graph to determine the overall trend of the data. Additionally, pay attention to any outliers or anomalies that may affect the overall interpretation of the data.