Quick question about experiments done on spin detection

In summary, this conversation discussed the probability associated with detecting spin states, which is 0.5 if the spin state is unknown prior to testing. If an electron is prepared with spin up and measured again for spin up, it will be detected 100% of the time. However, if the equipment is rotated by 90 degrees, the probability of detecting spin up is only 0.5. The measuring process also affects the electron's state. The probability can be calculated using Cos2θ/2, with a 60-degree rotation resulting in a 75% probability of detecting spin up. The accuracy of experimental results matches theory, with the only limitation being the ability to control the rotation of the apparatus. These experiments are often done
rede96
As I understand it, there is a certain probability associated with detecting spin states. Which if the spin state is unknown prior to testing is 0.5.

But if I prepare an electron with say spin up, then measure it again for spin up I will detected spin up 100% of the time.

Also, if I prepare my electron in spin up, but rotate my equipment by 90 degrees the results will show that I only detect spin up with a probability of 0.5 Also, the measuring process will affect the electron and change it's state to the direction of detection.

Prepare my electron again in the spin up state, but this time rotate my equipment by an angle θ, I can work out the probability by Cos2θ/2

So for example, if my equipment was rotated to say 60 degrees, it would give a 75% probability of detecting spin up for an electron that was prepared in the spin up state.

Have I understood that properly?

Also, have all different angels been tested experimentally against their predicted probabilities? Do they all give the expected results compared to the predicted probability or are there some small angles, like say 10 degrees, where the probability is that near to 1 (0.9924 I think), experimentally it just shows 100%?

Physics news on Phys.org
rede96 said:
Have I understood that properly?
Yes

Also, have all different angles been tested experimentally against their predicted probabilities? Do they all give the expected results compared to the predicted probability or are there some small angles, like say 10 degrees, where the probability is that near to 1 (0.9924 I think), experimentally it just shows 100%?
Observations match theory to the limits of experimental accuracy here, and we are way better than the third decimal point in accuracy so far. The only theoretical limit to the accuracy of these experiments is our ability to control the rotation of the apparatus itself; we can measure an arbitrarily small probability of the electron ending up spin down by running an arbitrarily large number of electrons through the apparatus.

In practice, experiments testing this behavior (measure on an in-between axis, see angle-dependent probability of one of two results, measured particle changes to the 100% state) are more often done with polarized light. It's easier and cheaper to generate polarized photons in enormous quantities, and they're easier to handle. The principle is the same though.

Nugatory said:
YesObservations match theory to the limits of experimental accuracy here, and we are way better than the third decimal point in accuracy so far. The only theoretical limit to the accuracy of these experiments is our ability to control the rotation of the apparatus itself; we can measure an arbitrarily small probability of the electron ending up spin down by running an arbitrarily large number of electrons through the apparatus.

In practice, experiments testing this behavior (measure on an in-between axis, see angle-dependent probability of one of two results, measured particle changes to the 100% state) are more often done with polarized light. It's easier and cheaper to generate polarized photons in enormous quantities, and they're easier to handle. The principle is the same though.

Ok, great. Thank you.

Related to Quick question about experiments done on spin detection

1. What is spin detection in experiments?

Spin detection is the process of measuring the spin state of a particle. Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, like mass and charge, and it can have two possible values: up or down. In experiments, scientists use various techniques to detect and measure the spin state of particles.

2. Why is spin detection important in experiments?

Spin detection is important because it allows scientists to study and understand the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. It is also crucial in fields such as quantum computing, where spin states are used to encode information.

3. How is spin detection done in experiments?

There are several methods for spin detection, including scattering experiments, Stern-Gerlach experiments, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These techniques use different physical principles to measure the spin state of particles.

4. What types of particles can be used in spin detection experiments?

Spin detection experiments can be performed on a wide range of particles, including electrons, protons, neutrons, and atomic nuclei. The techniques used for spin detection may vary depending on the type of particle being studied.

5. What are some applications of spin detection in experiments?

Spin detection has numerous applications in physics and other fields. In addition to its use in fundamental research, it is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in the development of new technologies like spintronics and quantum computing.