Quick question about elastic potential energy?

In summary, when a spring is compressed, extra potential energy is added to it. When the compression is released, the spring recoils back to its original shape, exchanging potential energy for kinetic energy. However, due to damping, the spring will eventually lose all of its energy.
sameeralord
u5l1b7.gif

Now when the spring recoils, it loses its elastic potential energy to the dart. If it loses its energy how does it come back to its original shape. I'm thinking it is the elastic potential energy that is used to make the coil come back to its orginal shape. Also let's say a spring was compressed and I took my hand away. Now it recoiled back to its shape. The spring didn't transfer any of its added elastic potential energy, to any other object. So does the spring has more energy now.

When I compress a spring I'm thinking I'm adding extra potential energy. Am I adding extra energy or, changing the allready existing energy in the spring to elastic potential energy.

Please excuse anyof my misunderstandings.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sameeralord! :smile:
sameeralord said:
When I compress a spring I'm thinking I'm adding extra potential energy. Am I adding extra energy or, changing the allready existing energy in the spring to elastic potential energy.

When you compress a spring, your finger moves as the spring gets shorter, so the force from your finger does work on the spring.

That work done equals the extra PE (and, yes, it is extra: you added it). :smile:
… Also let's say a spring was compressed and I took my hand away. Now it recoiled back to its shape. The spring didn't transfer any of its added elastic potential energy, to any other object. So does the spring has more energy now.

When you remove your finger, if energy is conserved, the spring will bounce to and fro indefinitely, continually exchanging PE for its own KE (and vice versa).

However, most springs are "damped", and lose energy quite fast. :wink:

Related to Quick question about elastic potential energy?

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a form of mechanical potential energy that can be converted into kinetic energy when the object returns to its original shape.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the energy in joules, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position in meters.

3. What is the relationship between force and elastic potential energy?

The force applied to stretch or compress an elastic object is directly proportional to the amount of elastic potential energy stored in the object. This means that the more force applied, the more energy will be stored in the object.

4. Can elastic potential energy be negative?

Yes, elastic potential energy can be negative if an object is released from a position where it has negative potential energy. This typically happens when the object is stretched or compressed beyond its equilibrium position.

5. What are some examples of elastic potential energy?

Some examples of elastic potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a bent bow and arrow. These objects all have the potential to release stored energy and return to their original shapes.