Quick force on the fulcrum of a lever?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lever problem and determining the force on the fulcrum. It also explains the concept of power and how a lever does not increase power, but rather increases force. The conversation concludes with an explanation of how to determine the force on the oar by considering all forces acting on it.
linuxux

Homework Statement

I have a lever problem, i wish to find the force on the fulcrum; how do i determine this force?

http://www.UploadYourImages.com"

Fin = 80 N
Fout= 21.5 N

(yes, usually a lever is supposed to increase your power, but it represents a rowing oar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No a lever does not increase your power, it increases your force. Power is W/t, and a machine cannot increase the work input. In reality all machines reduce the work since some energy is lost to friction.

But to answer your question, first realize that "Fout" is the force from the oar on the water.

Now you need to determine all the forces that are ON the oar. (Think Newton's 3rd).

Then assume all forces on the oar are balanced (assuming the boat is not accelerating, much).

so its just basically the difference between Fin and Fout. Thus in my case, the force on the oar would be Fin-Fout=58.8N; is that right?

58.N in the direction of Fout i should say?

Last edited:
anyone have an answer for this?

Yes, according to your diagram I would say the difference between Fin and Fout is the force on the fulcrum. But in my experience with oars, I would say Fin and Fout point in the same direction, hence it's the sum. Think only of the forces acting on the oar. Not on the water.

Related to Quick force on the fulcrum of a lever?

What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or plank that is able to pivot around a fixed point called the fulcrum. It is used to amplify force or to transfer motion.

How does a lever work?

A lever works by using a small input force at one point on the lever to produce a larger output force at another point on the lever. This is achieved by placing the fulcrum at a strategic point along the length of the lever.

What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments. This means that the lever will be in equilibrium if the moments on either side of the fulcrum are balanced.

What is the relationship between the force and distance from the fulcrum?

The relationship between the force and distance from the fulcrum is inversely proportional. This means that the farther the force is from the fulcrum, the less force is needed to lift an object and vice versa.

How can the mechanical advantage of a lever be calculated?

The mechanical advantage of a lever can be calculated by dividing the distance from the fulcrum to the input force by the distance from the fulcrum to the output force. This ratio will give the mechanical advantage of the lever.