Quick 2D Motion Question (wind resistance)

In summary, the plane is actually traveling at a higher velocity than stated by the pilot due to the wind.
Vroc

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying 100m/s (N20E) according to the pilot, but is in a wind that is blowing 40 m/s (S10E). What is the plane's real velocity?

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Therom
Cosin and Sin Laws
Component Method

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I think I can easily get the answer if I know what this question is asking me. By real velocity, Does it mean the displacement from point 100 m/s (N20E) to 40 m/s (S20E)? Like, I can draw it on a graph and make the triangle. I would then calculate the angle and length of the unknown side. If that's not it, Then how would I go about getting it? Please Help me understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vroc! :smile:
Vroc said:
An airplane is flying 100m/s (N20E) according to the pilot …

Okay, I think I can easily get the answer if I know what this question is asking me.

It means the velocity Vpa of the plane relative to the air is 100 m/s (N20E)

you're given Vag, the velocity of the air relative to the ground,

and you need to find Vpg, the velocity of the plane relative to the ground. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Vroc! :smile:

It means the velocity Vpa of the plane relative to the air is 100 m/s (N20E)

you're given Vag, the velocity of the air relative to the ground,

and you need to find Vpg, the velocity of the plane relative to the ground. :wink:

What? I just need to know what formula to use or how I can use my graph to find the answer.
I'm given the planes Velocity (100m/s n20e) and than the wind (40 m/s s10e)

Vroc said:
I'm given the planes Velocity (100m/s n20e)

no, that's not the plane's velocity (relative to the ground), it's the plane's velocity relative to the air

now use vector addition

tiny-tim said:
no, that's not the plane's velocity (relative to the ground), it's the plane's velocity relative to the air

now use vector addition

Okay, If I can use vector addiction, than I can do it the way I mentioned earlier by making a triangle and finding the unknown side and angle because they both are ways of finding the same thing. correct?

Vroc said:
Okay, If I can use vector addiction, than I can do it the way I mentioned earlier by making a triangle and finding the unknown side and angle because they both are ways of finding the same thing. correct?

correct :smile:

(and make sure your vector triangle has the arrows the right way round,

so that Vpg = Vpa + Vag :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
correct :smile:

(and make sure your vector triangle has the arrows the right way round,

so that Vpg = Vpa + Vag :wink:)

Thank you so much.

Related to Quick 2D Motion Question (wind resistance)

1. How does wind resistance affect an object's motion in 2D?

Wind resistance, also known as air resistance, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. In 2D motion, wind resistance can slow down or change the direction of an object's movement, depending on the object's shape and velocity.

2. Can wind resistance be ignored in 2D motion calculations?

No, wind resistance should not be ignored in 2D motion calculations as it can significantly affect the accuracy of the results. In scenarios where wind resistance is minimal, it can be approximated or simplified for calculation purposes.

3. How is wind resistance calculated in 2D motion?

Wind resistance is calculated using the formula F = 0.5 * p * v^2 * A * C, where F is the force of wind resistance, p is the air density, v is the object's velocity, A is the object's cross-sectional area, and C is the drag coefficient. This formula takes into account the object's shape, size, and speed to determine the amount of wind resistance acting on it.

4. Can wind resistance be reduced in 2D motion?

Yes, there are ways to reduce wind resistance in 2D motion. One way is by reducing the object's cross-sectional area, which can be achieved by changing its shape or size. Additionally, decreasing the object's speed can also reduce wind resistance.

5. How does wind resistance affect different objects in 2D motion?

Wind resistance affects different objects in 2D motion differently based on their shape, size, and speed. Generally, larger and more streamlined objects experience less wind resistance compared to smaller or more irregularly shaped objects. Additionally, objects with higher velocities experience more wind resistance than objects with lower velocities.