Questions - solving pendulum period of rotation

In summary: Im not native really sorry that bother you and put you in trouble :shy:Sorry, I don't know what you're asking. Do you want me to explain what "ODE" and "SHM" mean?
Physics7
Questions -- solving pendulum period of rotation

Physical pendulum has a period of rotation
gif.gif

that changes by Changing the temperature.
According to the above show that the frequency shift of the pendulum would be:
gif.latex?%5CDelta%20%5Ctau%20=%5CPi%20.gif

I have 2 questions,first solving the above question
and the second how Rotation period of the pendulum could be like this?
gif.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

please help me az fast as possible

Your first question is incomplete. How is [itex]\Delta \theta[/itex] defined?

As for your second question, it is also incomplete. What are "I" and "d"? I can guess that m and g are mass and the acceleration of gravity and possibly that "d" is the length of the pendulum but my guess would be that "I" is moment of inertia but that does not fit here.

my problem is these too,this is the book practice and hasn't explained anything even the professor didnt understand and he asked me to search for it...

HallsofIvy said:
Your first question is incomplete. How is [itex]\Delta \theta[/itex] defined?
Change in temperature, I would think. And lm must be the linear coefficient of expansion.
I can guess that m and g are mass and the acceleration of gravity and possibly that "d" is the length of the pendulum but my guess would be that "I" is moment of inertia but that does not fit here.
Yes, I as moment of inertia makes sense. If we assume that, and that d is the length of the pendulum from axis to centre of gravity, and we assume the pendulum expands uniformly, then I get the same answer as the book.

haruspex said:
Change in temperature, I would think. And lm must be the linear coefficient of expansion.

Yes, I as moment of inertia makes sense. If we assume that, and that d is the length of the pendulum from axis to centre of gravity, and we assume the pendulum expands uniformly, then I get the same answer as the book.

could you please tell more about it? and explain it?

Physics7 said:
could you please tell more about it? and explain it?
Do you know how to write down the differential equation for a simple pendulum and solve it? You will need a version of it that does not treat the pendulum as a point mass at the end of a massless rod.

I understand what you mean but I do' know how to solve it

Physics7 said:
I understand what you mean but I do' know how to solve it
So you can write down the ODE? If so, please post it.
Are you expected to be able to solve SHM ODEs, or perhaps just expected to recognise them and quote a solution?

haruspex said:
So you can write down the ODE? If so, please post it.
Are you expected to be able to solve SHM ODEs, or perhaps just expected to recognise them and quote a solution?

sorry what do you mean by ode shm and odes ?
Im not native really sorry that bother you and put you in trouble :shy:

Last edited:

Apologies. ODE = ordinary differential equation; SHM = simple harmonic motion.

I know the diffrential equation but not for pendulum.
and shm if you mean
gif.gif
its okay,
I searched and I understand that complex pendulum period of rotation would be like this
gif.gif
but don't know how to do diffrential equation for it...

Physics7 said:
I understand that complex pendulum period of rotation would be like this
gif.gif
OK, that should be enough for the question about change in temperature.
What you need to work out is how a small increase in length (resulting from a change in temperature) will affect I and d, and hence how it will affect the period. Do you understand how to use differentiation for that?
In the OP, you also said you wanted to know how the complex pendulum formula could be like that. To answer that, I need to walk you through the derivation and solution of the differential equation. OTOH, I get the impression you're not required to be able to do that yet. Please say how you'd like to proceed on that.

Related to Questions - solving pendulum period of rotation

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can freely swing back and forth.

2. How does the period of rotation of a pendulum affect its movement?

The period of rotation of a pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. It affects the movement of the pendulum by determining the speed and frequency of its swings.

3. How is the period of rotation of a pendulum calculated?

The period of rotation of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the period of rotation of a pendulum?

The period of rotation of a pendulum is affected by its length, the force of gravity, and the angle at which it is released. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have a small impact.

5. How does the mass of a pendulum affect its period of rotation?

The mass of a pendulum does not affect its period of rotation. As long as the length and force of gravity remain constant, the mass of the pendulum will not change the period of rotation.