Questions on RGB, CYMK and Cones in MKaku Forum Theory of Everything

• Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date
In summary: I couldn't answer, and am myself curious about. Can anyone here help?1) Violet, or purple (English color names are far from unambiguous!) is a small range of wavelengths around ~400 nm. However, the 'blue' cones have only limited sensitivity to these wavelengths, and the 'green' and 'red' ones virtually none. 2) Magenta (as in the M in the CYMK system) is clearly not 'a small range of wavelengths around x nm', which is how any color in the rainbow could be described. In this case, intensity does seem to matter; as it gets faint (or dark), magenta appears to me to become more purpl
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the Theory of Everything board in the MKaku Forum, 8LPF16 asked about colours (see "question" thread), and the discussion got onto the relationship between colour perception, spectral intensities, and the colour systems used in printing, TVs and computer monitors, etc.

8LPF16 asked some questions I couldn't answer, and am myself curious about. Can anyone here help?

1) Violet, or purple (English colour names are far from unambiguous!) is a small range of wavelengths around ~400 nm. However, the 'blue' cones have only limited sensitivity to these wavelengths, and the 'green' and 'red' ones virtually none. On my computer screen I get a purple colour with ~60% blue and ~40% red (using the RGB system). The intensity of the colour doesn't seem to matter much, until it become so faint that all colours get washed out (i.e. only the rods are stimulated) What's happening, in terms of rod and cone activity, when you look at the violet part of the rainbow?

2) Magenta (as in the M in the CYMK system) is clearly not 'a small range of wavelengths around x nm', which is how any colour in the rainbow could be described. In this case, intensity does seem to matter; as it gets faint (or dark), magenta appears to me to become more purplish. What is the spectrum of a magenta-coloured object?
(This may be a question better directed to someone in a technology board)

LPF also asks some other interesting questions; perhaps she'll post them here.

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
Here you go :) response curves for three different kind of cones in the retina.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/colcon.html#c1
The curves are significantly different from those in this source:
http://www.photo.net/photo/edscott/vis00010.htm

Which is right?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not at all that different, the only difference is that blue has a higher absorption in one.

Monique,

The main question was to define the wavelength of magenta - any help?

I am a Generalist, apparently that led Nereid to assume I would be female. (No)

I had also mentioned to Nereid that the "red" cone is actually yellow. 579nm peak is 7nm from spectral yellow @572nm. Orange just starts around 614nm, why the insistance on calling that cone red?

LPF

P.S. That is a lovely picture of you, if the threads on this forum included photos, I'm sure your "view/reply" ratio would be 100%.
:wink:

colour perception in humans is complicated!

With the help of Ms Google, I found a couple or three webpages which go a long way to helping me understand this topic:
http://www.ntsc-tv.com/ntsc-main-05.htm
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/undergrad/CourseMaterials/CMPT365/material/notes/Chap3/Chap3.3/Chap3.3.html
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/specrend/

I certainly hadn't appreciated how complicated the topic of human colour perception is!

Some comments on LPF's questions:
- the names 'blue', 'green', and 'red' for the cones are shorthand; the actual spectral responses cover ~>100nm
- for example, a person with non-functioning blue and green cones (and defective rods) could perceive almost the entire spectrum (apparently the red cones do respond to light around 420nm, though the sensitivity is <10% that at the peak, ~590nm); however, if only the blue cones were functional, the person would be blind to all colours longer than ~520nm (what their subjective perception would be is a different question)
- the intensity-wavelength curves for the RGB phosphors in TVs and computer monitors do not match the response curves of the human cones. This has all kinds of interesting implications.
- the spectrum of a magenta object will have significant blue and red components. There is no unique 'magenta' intensity-wavelength curve; in this respect, magenta is no different from any other colour (as perceived by humans), including blue, green, and red.

Last edited by a moderator:
magenta

via photons...

not perception,

LIGHT !

LPF

Related to Questions on RGB, CYMK and Cones in MKaku Forum Theory of Everything

1. What is RGB and what does it stand for?

RGB stands for red, green, and blue. It is a color model used in digital devices to create a wide range of colors by combining different intensities of these three primary colors.

2. How is RGB used in digital devices?

RGB is used in digital devices such as computer monitors, TVs, and cameras to display and capture color images. Each pixel on a screen or sensor is made up of three subpixels, one for each color, which combine to create the full spectrum of colors.

3. What is CMYK and how is it different from RGB?

CMYK stands for cyan, magenta, yellow, and key (black). It is a color model used in printing to create a wide range of colors by combining different percentages of these four colors. Unlike RGB, which produces colors by adding light, CMYK produces colors by subtracting light.

4. How are RGB and CMYK related to the cones in our eyes?

RGB and CMYK are both based on the trichromatic theory of color vision, which states that our eyes have three types of cones that respond to red, green, and blue light. These colors are then processed by our brain to create the full spectrum of colors we see.

5. Can RGB and CMYK be converted to each other?

Yes, RGB and CMYK can be converted to each other using color management software. However, some colors may not translate perfectly due to differences in color gamut and the way colors are produced in each model.