Questions on an end of the year project

In summary: There are a lot of ways to do this kind of thing and it really depends on what you are trying to learn or show. Efficiency would be a good measure to try.
ollie_craw

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I am attempting to do an end of the year physics project on gears on bikes and bike ratios. For the presentation I want to explain how gear ratios and the like work and demonstrate a homemade gear. I also need to have and experiment to go along with it. My basic plan is to ride my bike up a short section of hill and measure the number of pedal rotations as well as possibly speed and calories for efficiency? I need some help coming up with variables to measure for my experiment and I am lost! Can you guys help?
Thanks,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Many times, scientists will measure everything they can. They don't just select a few variables and then later realize there was something else they should have collected.

GIven that what things can you measure as you perform your experiments?

jedishrfu said:
Many times, scientists will measure everything they can. They don't just select a few variables and then later realize there was something else they should have collected.

GIven that what things can you measure as you perform your experiments?
Okay. Let me rephrase my question then. What sort of equations and graphs could I design surrounding gear ratios and bicycle movement up a hill in different gears? Would rotational velocity be appropriate? How about torque?

Isn't that part of your project to come up with various charts and to then show which ones are relevant and why?

THere are many articles on google about bike gear ratios and mechanical advantage that you could research and factor in. From there you could decide what to plot. For starters, you could measure progress up the hill each second by video taping the experiment and you could get the pedal rotations, wheel rotations and rider effort if they slow down or speed up during the take.

Likes ollie_craw
jedishrfu said:
Isn't that part of your project to come up with various charts and to then show which ones are relevant and why?

THere are many articles on google about bike gear ratios and mechanical advantage that you could research and factor in. From there you could decide what to plot. For starters, you could measure progress up the hill each second by video taping the experiment and you could get the pedal rotations, wheel rotations and rider effort if they slow down or speed up during the take.

Okay great! Thanks for helping me with some of the ideas. You don't this this project is crazy right? I'm just feeling a little lost and the things you said sounded like they were on the right track for me. Is there anyway you think I could measure efficiency from this experiment? (calories burned or something?) Or would that be over doing it and getting on the wrong track?
Thanks so much I really appreciate your ideas.

No the project isn't too crazy. I did one where I measured the flight of a frisbee using some video analysis and tried to model it in Java. I remember placing a measured piece of rope down so that I could get distance measurements as I watched the video. I've seen a similar construct in a NOVA show on the bouncing bomb of WW2 where they built a grid of string in front of the camera and took measurements as the plane dropped the spinning bomb to see how it skipped on the water.

Related to Questions on an end of the year project

1. What is the purpose of an end of the year project?

The purpose of an end of the year project is to assess students' understanding and application of the concepts and skills they have learned throughout the year. It also allows them to showcase their creativity and critical thinking skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for my end of the year project?

You can choose a topic that aligns with the curriculum or one that interests you. It is important to choose a topic that is challenging but also manageable within the given time frame.

3. What is the timeline for completing an end of the year project?

The timeline for completing an end of the year project varies depending on the school or teacher's guidelines. However, it is recommended to start planning and working on the project at least a few weeks before the end of the school year to ensure enough time for completion.

4. What are the key components of a successful end of the year project?

A successful end of the year project should have a clear and defined topic, a well-written research question, thorough research and data analysis, and a creative and organized final presentation or product.

5. Can I work in a group for an end of the year project?

It depends on the guidelines set by your teacher or school. Some projects may require individual work, while others may allow for group work. It is important to clarify with your teacher beforehand to avoid any confusion.