Questions about metal-semiconductor-metal calculation

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with calculations on the M-S-M model and asking for assistance on transferring the unit of Eo from mV to eV. A scientist responds and provides a conversion formula for this conversion.
bhao
Dear all

Pls contact me if you can provide some help for the calculation on the M-S-M model.
Using equation:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/upload_2015-1-20_10-10-27-png.77997/

After plotting LnI vs.V,
I use the slope to get Eo, where Eo is in the unit of mV.
While if I continue with the calculation. using equations:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/upload_2015-1-20_10-26-29-png.77998/
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/upload_2015-1-20_10-26-43-png.77999/
to calculate the carrier density n.

How do I transfer the unit of Eo(mV) to Eoo(eV)?

I would really appreciate any comments:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your calculations on the M-S-M model. I am a scientist who specializes in this area and I would be happy to provide some assistance.

To transfer the unit of Eo (mV) to Eoo (eV), you can use the following conversion:

1 mV = 10^-3 V
1 eV = 1.6 x 10^-19 J

Therefore, to convert Eo from mV to eV, you can use the formula:

Eoo (eV) = Eo (mV) x 10^-3 V x 1.6 x 10^-19 J/eV

I hope this helps with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

Related to Questions about metal-semiconductor-metal calculation

1. What is a metal-semiconductor-metal calculation?

A metal-semiconductor-metal calculation is a computational method used to analyze the electronic properties of a metal-semiconductor-metal (MSM) structure. It involves solving the Schrödinger equation to determine the energy levels and wave functions of the electrons in the structure, and using this information to calculate various properties such as the current-voltage characteristics and the device efficiency.

2. Why is metal-semiconductor-metal calculation important?

Metal-semiconductor-metal calculations are important because they provide insight into the behavior of MSM devices, which have a wide range of applications in optoelectronics, telecommunications, and sensing. By accurately predicting the performance of these devices, researchers and engineers can design more efficient and reliable devices for various applications.

3. What factors are considered in a metal-semiconductor-metal calculation?

Several factors are taken into account in a metal-semiconductor-metal calculation, including the material properties of the metal and semiconductor, the geometry of the device, the applied voltage, and any external factors such as temperature or illumination. These factors can significantly affect the device performance and must be carefully considered in the calculation.

4. What are some challenges in metal-semiconductor-metal calculation?

One of the main challenges in metal-semiconductor-metal calculation is accurately modeling the interfaces between the metal and semiconductor layers, as these can have a significant impact on the device behavior. Another challenge is accounting for the effects of defects and impurities in the materials, which can greatly influence the electronic properties of the device.

5. How can metal-semiconductor-metal calculation be used in research and development?

Metal-semiconductor-metal calculations are commonly used in research and development to optimize device performance and design new MSM devices for specific applications. By varying the parameters in the calculation, researchers can determine the most efficient device configurations and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying physics, leading to further advancements in the field.