Questioning the Physics of a Hypothetical Cord

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a hypothetical cord made of a material that cannot bend, stretch, or condense. The question was whether person B on one end of the cord would instantly feel a pull from person A on the other end, or if there would be a delay due to the distance of one light year. The conclusion was that this scenario contradicts the principles of relativity and is not possible in reality.
I had a thought that's been bugging me and I wanted to ask some people who have more than a two semesters of physics about it.

Let's say I have a cord made out of a hypothetical material that can't bend, stretch, or condense. Now, I take that cord and span it across one light year. If person A on one end of the cord pulls it, would person B on the other end instantly see the cord getting pulled, or would it take a year for person B to notice it?

Physics news on Phys.org
01001101 said:
Let's say I have a cord made out of a hypothetical material that can't bend, stretch, or condense. Now, I take that cord and span it across one light year. If person A on one end of the cord pulls it, would person B on the other end instantly see the cord getting pulled, or would it take a year for person B to notice it?
Given your premise, B would see the effect instantaneously. This contradicts relativity, so we conclude that your premise is not consistent with relativity. According to relativity, it is not possible to have a perfectly inelastic cord.

Hi 77. Mechanical force propagates at speed of sound through object. In the case of material that 'can't band, stretch, or condense', speed of sound would be infinite, so person B would instantly feel pulling. Of course, such material does not exist, nor it is theoretically possible to exist.

Related to Questioning the Physics of a Hypothetical Cord

1. What is a hypothetical cord?

A hypothetical cord is a theoretical concept in the field of physics that refers to an imaginary cord that is used in thought experiments to help understand and explain various physical phenomena.

2. Why is questioning the physics of a hypothetical cord important?

Questioning the physics of a hypothetical cord allows researchers and scientists to explore and challenge current theories and models, leading to a better understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of physics.

3. How do scientists study the physics of a hypothetical cord?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical models, computer simulations, and physical experiments to study the physics of a hypothetical cord. These methods help to test the validity of existing theories and develop new ones.

4. What are some potential applications of understanding the physics of a hypothetical cord?

The physics of a hypothetical cord can have a wide range of applications, including the development of new materials and technologies, understanding the behavior of complex systems, and improving our understanding of the universe at a fundamental level.

5. Are there any limitations to studying the physics of a hypothetical cord?

As with any theoretical concept, there are limitations to studying the physics of a hypothetical cord. These limitations include the accuracy and validity of the theoretical models used, as well as the ability to conduct physical experiments to test these models.