Question relating Newton's First Law of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that an object will stop moving once the force acting on it stops. This is due to the common experience of friction on Earth, but in space, an object will continue to move with a constant velocity if no force, including friction, is acting on it. This is known as Newton's First Law of Motion. Satellites and shuttles in space demonstrate this law as they are constantly in a state of freefall due to gravity and only need occasional boosts to maintain their orbit.
ehabmozart
Hi there! I kept on reading my textbook and i found one simple confusion in Newton's First law of motion. I want to consider a situation where a space shuttle is moving in the outerspace (assume there is no gravity) under the influence of the engines. What will happen when the engine stops functioning? It is given that the space shuttle will move with a constant velocity. Now, my opinion would be that there was an initial forward force given by the engine, no it is taken off. Is is like pulling the space shuttle. So it ultimately must end up by a stop! This is confusing me. I would really be thankful to whoever helps me in clarifying my confusion. Thanks in advance. I need elaborate answers if u please :)

Science news on Phys.org
The intuition that once you stop the force the object will stop is an illusion produced
by the fact that we grow up in an environment where there is friction everywhere. When we stop pushing an object, it may only move a short distance before friction slows it down to a stop. But friction is also a force. If no force at all, including friction, acts on an object, it will move with a constant velocity forever. The ancient people, even the most educated, believed the idea that seems like common sense but is incorrect -- until Galileo figured out the real answer in the 1600s.

space is a fun place to do physics because we are allowed to make up situations that we normally couldn't do on earth.

So let's say you are going in your shuttle off Earth into space and at t=20 your engine turns off, and you get past Earth's gravity, you are in free floating space. you could then just keep on going that same speed for ever and ever until you bumped into something, or near something real big. (I think we have satelights pointed at us sending information that use no fuel to keep on going. Because there is no need)

Thinking it would slow down is common sense nowadaysz because if your rolling down the street on a scooter eventually your going to slow down. There are so many different frictions to think about when on a scooter that we take for granted. The fact that there is air that is trying to get around us slows us down, plus friction between the wheel and the ground, and then the wheel bearing.

stoner420 said:
space is a fun place to do physics because we are allowed to make up situations that we normally couldn't do on earth.

yup it sure is we can only sort of create the conditions of Newtons first law of every action has an equal and opposite reaction

At NASA they use smooth floors and have air cusioned units that will glide over the surface with a minimal amount of friction its a very good approximation :)

So let's say you are going in your shuttle off Earth into space and at t=20 your engine turns off, and you get past Earth's gravity, you are in free floating space. you could then just keep on going that same speed for ever and ever until you bumped into something, or near something real big. (I think we have satelights pointed at us sending information that use no fuel to keep on going. Because there is no need)

very difficult to get away from the effects of Earth's gravity. You much be a VERY long way away. Remember that even in orbit satellites, shuttle and its astronauts are in a constant state of freefall due to gravity

Satellites do have small rocket thrusters ( usually just gas exhausts) these are there to periodically boost the satellite's orbit. Most satellites (in lower Earth orbit regions) are not that far above the Earth's atmosphere and the small amount of resistance from that and loss of orbital velocity means they do slowly loose orbital height and need the occassional boost to get them back in position.

The life of the satellite comes to an end when there is no more propellant on the satellite to do the boosts in orbit and then they are on that inevidable spiral back into the atmosphere and burn up

Dave

When you stop accelerating an object, it will continue to move at the velocity it had before.
For example, say I had a rock and attached a string to it, then went and spun the rock with the string (Think David and Goliath),after a while the string snapped and ceased to pull on the rock, the rock will fly out tangent to the circular trajectory it used to be on.

Related to Question relating Newton's First Law of motion

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's First Law of Motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's First Law of Motion can be seen in everyday situations, such as a book staying on a table until someone picks it up, a ball rolling until it hits something, or a car continuing to move until the brakes are applied.

3. What is the difference between inertia and mass?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In other words, mass is a property of an object, while inertia is a property of motion.

4. Can an object experience a net force and still have a constant velocity?

Yes, an object can experience a net force and still have a constant velocity if the forces acting on the object are balanced, meaning they cancel each other out. In this case, the object's velocity will remain constant.

5. How does Newton's First Law of Motion relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. These two laws are related because Newton's First Law explains what happens when there is no net force on an object, while Newton's Second Law explains what happens when there is a net force on an object.