Question related to fill in boundary conditions in comsol

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PDE coefficient form in comsol to solve equations related to piezoelectric substrates. The equations specify the behavior of the substrate when subjected to an electric field and the variable to be solved is \vec{u}. The PDE coefficient form involves transferring the equations and specifying boundary conditions, including neumann and mixed boundary conditions. The coefficients q, g, h, and r need to be determined for the specific case. The use of PDE form is questioned, as the MEMS/piezoelectric application modes may build the coupling automatically.
overgift
Firstly I really feel so lucky to find this forum. Since I don't have a strong physics background but now dealing with many problems directly related to physics.

I'm now doing some simulation in comsol and need to solve some PDEs. I'm using this PDE coefficient form in comsol. The equations need to be solved are:

-[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]2[tex]\vec{u}[/tex]- [tex]\nabla[/tex]T=0
[tex]\nabla \vec{D}[/tex] = 0
[tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = -[tex]\nabla V[/tex]
T=cES-eEi
Di=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]S

The equations specify the behavior of a piezoelectric substrate when subjected to an electric field. In these equations the variable need to be solved is [tex]\vec{u}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{u}[/tex](u,v,w,V).

Then PDE coefficient form in comsol is: -[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex](C[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]+[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]-[tex]\gamma[/tex])+a[tex]\vec{u}[/tex]+[tex]\beta[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{f}[/tex]

in this step I need to transfer my equations to this PDE coefficient form.

Then I need to specify the boundary condition:

The neumann boundary condition in comsol coefficient form specifies:
n[tex]\cdot[/tex](C[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]+[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]-[tex]\gamma[/tex])+q[tex]\vec{u}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{g}[/tex]

The mixed boundary condition in comsol coefficient form specifies:
n[tex]\cdot[/tex](C[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]+[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\vec{u}[/tex]-[tex]\gamma[/tex])+q[tex]\vec{u}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{g}[/tex]-hT[tex]\mu[/tex]
h[tex]\vec{u}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]

q, g,h,r are coefficients I need to fill in according to my specicial case.

one of the boundary conditions writes V=Vp, n[tex]\cdot[/tex]=0. And I really not sure how to define this in the mixed boundary condition and decide the value of q,g,h,r. Could anyone with comsol experience give me some hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi overgift,

I was first wondering is there some specific reason you're using the PDE form rather than the MEMS/piezoelectric application modes? Those would build you the coupling "automatically" and specifying for example the electric potential boundary condition would be a fairly straightforward task? Or perhaps you're doing something which is beyond the capabilities of those implementations.

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It's great to hear that you have found this forum helpful for your physics-related problems.

Regarding your question about fill in boundary conditions in comsol, I can understand that it can be a bit confusing to transfer your equations to the PDE coefficient form and then specify the boundary conditions. But don't worry, with some guidance, you will be able to do it successfully.

Firstly, let's take a look at the PDE coefficient form in comsol that you have mentioned. This form includes the PDE coefficients C, \alpha, \gamma, a, and \beta. These coefficients represent the material properties and the coefficients in your PDE equations, and they need to be specified according to your specific case. You can find more information about these coefficients in the comsol documentation or by using the help function in comsol.

Now, let's focus on the boundary conditions. The Neumann boundary condition in comsol coefficient form specifies the normal derivative of your solution variable \vec{u}. In your case, this would be the normal derivative of \vec{u} with respect to the boundary condition. Similarly, for the mixed boundary condition, you would need to specify the normal derivative of \vec{u} as well as the value of \vec{u} itself on the boundary. The coefficients q, g, h, and r would depend on your specific case and can be determined by considering the physical meaning of your boundary condition and the material properties of your system.

For the boundary condition V=Vp, n\cdot=0, you would need to specify the value of \vec{u} as Vp on the boundary, and the normal derivative of \vec{u} would be zero. This would mean that there is no flux of \vec{u} across that boundary.

I would suggest looking at some examples or tutorials provided by comsol to get a better understanding of how to specify boundary conditions in comsol. You can also reach out to their support team for further assistance.

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Good luck with your simulations!

Related to Question related to fill in boundary conditions in comsol

1. What are boundary conditions in Comsol?

Boundary conditions in Comsol are specifications that define the behavior of a physical system at its boundaries. They are used to simulate the real-world environment in a virtual model and are essential in accurately predicting the behavior of a system.

2. How do I specify boundary conditions in Comsol?

To specify boundary conditions in Comsol, you can use the Boundary Settings window or the Boundary Mode toolbar. Both methods allow you to select the boundaries of your model and define the desired conditions, such as temperature, pressure, or material properties.

3. Can I use multiple boundary conditions in one model?

Yes, you can use multiple boundary conditions in one model. Comsol allows you to specify different conditions for each boundary, allowing for a more accurate representation of complex systems. You can also combine multiple boundary conditions, such as a fixed temperature and a convective heat transfer condition, to simulate more realistic environments.

4. What is the difference between essential and natural boundary conditions in Comsol?

Essential boundary conditions, also known as Dirichlet conditions, specify the exact value of a variable at a boundary. In contrast, natural boundary conditions, also known as Neumann conditions, define the flux or rate of change of a variable at a boundary. Essential boundary conditions are typically used to specify fixed values, while natural boundary conditions are used for conditions that can vary, such as heat transfer or fluid flow.

5. How do boundary conditions affect the accuracy of my simulations?

The accuracy of your simulations in Comsol is highly dependent on the boundary conditions you specify. It is crucial to choose appropriate boundary conditions that accurately reflect the real-world environment to obtain reliable results. Improper boundary conditions can lead to unrealistic or incorrect predictions of the behavior of your system.