Question regarding two books on quantum gravity

In summary, the books "Foundations of Space and Time" edited by George Ellis et al. and "Approaches to Quantum Gravity" edited by Daniele Oriti are collections of articles available online at ARXIV from 2006-2008 and 2009 respectively. These books have a social and cultural significance as they bring together different QG communities and promote collaboration and sharing of ideas. However, the technical strength of the Ellis book may not be the strongest, as it was not always the foremost people who attended the workshop in 2009. Nevertheless, the trend of mixing and collaboration among different QG communities is continuing and strengthening. The books have features such as Q&A and valuable articles, but are considered a "
Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer said:
Has anybody studied

Foundations of Space and Time
edited by George Ellis et al.
http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowled...ndations of Space and Time/?site_locale=en_GB

or

Approaches to Quantum Gravity
edited by Daniele Oriti
http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item1173492/?site_locale=en_GB

Any comments or recommendations?

Many of the articles which were collected (from various authors) in these books are available online at ARXIV dating from around 2006-2008 for the Oriti, and later (around 2009) for the Ellis. I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of either book partly because my curiosity was satisfied by reading preprints.

For me the books have a social and cultural importance because they are "ecumenical"---they represent an effort to get the different QG tribes and sects together listening to each other and sharing ideas.

George Ellis (a good and wise person) explicitly expressed this intent as his wish for a conference/workshop held in his honor on the occasion of his 70th birthday, in 2009.
However the Ellis book which resulted from this 2009 workshop did not perhaps have the strongest representation technically. It was not always the foremost people who were at the workshop, as I recall. I could be wrong but that's how I recall it. This doesn't matter since the value of the book is "ecumenical" as I see it. It might not be the best as an authoritative up-to-date presentation of the various QGs.

You can see the "ecumenical" trend continuing and strengthening. For example look at the makeup of the scientific advisory committee for Loops 2013. It has string folk, CDT, AsymSafe etc... broadly QG representative. That doesn't mean the conference itself will be (we don't know, there might be surprises) but at least the advisory committee is.

I see more mixing occurring at some smaller conferences too. Like this month's "Experimental Search for QG" conference and next month's "Perspectives on Fundamental Cosmology" workshop at NORDITA.

What parts of Oriti's book do you see as especially valuable? I like the Q&A feature at the end of sections. Also some of the articles. But it is a "mixed bag" so to speak. My two cents opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Related to Question regarding two books on quantum gravity

1. What are the two books on quantum gravity?

The two books on quantum gravity are "Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books provide an in-depth exploration of the concept of quantum gravity and its implications in physics.

2. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the force of gravity within the context of quantum mechanics. It combines the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale.

3. Who are the authors of these books?

Carlo Rovelli is an Italian theoretical physicist and author, known for his work in loop quantum gravity. Brian Greene is an American theoretical physicist and string theorist, known for his contributions to the understanding of quantum gravity and the universe.

4. Are these books suitable for beginners?

While these books may be challenging for readers with no prior knowledge of physics, they do provide a comprehensive and accessible overview of the concept of quantum gravity. They are written in a way that makes the complex concepts easier to understand for a general audience.

5. What can I expect to learn from these books?

By reading these books, you can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum gravity and how it relates to other theories in physics. You will also learn about the current research and developments in this field and its potential implications for our understanding of the universe.