Question regarding projectile motion

In summary: It sounds like he was demonstrating how the vertical velocity changes as you move from the climbing segment to the descending segment... perhaps as a lead-in to computing the location of the peak point in the trajectory.In summary, the teacher was demonstrating how the vertical velocity changes as you move from the climbing segment to the descending segment and how this affects the trajectory.
X53
I was in physics class a while ago and my teacher had the trajectory of a projectile on the board. he was marking off points on it, and next to each point, right after he marked it off, he wrote 1/2 next to it, then crossed it off while saying "1/2", then proceeded like that, marking off the next point, writing 1/2 next to it, and again, crossed it off and said "1/2". what in the world was he doing? i was zoned out, then when i tuned back into what was going on I saw him do this, just very briefly, as he was finishing up, then an idea came to me, then left as quickly as it came. I'm trying to get it back. I'm guessing he was doing something with the projectile equations. someone please help. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, was this Physics 101? Exactly what Physics course was it.
I'm guessing there are reading assignments that preceded this lecture and followed it. What kind of trajectories are covered in those readings?
What kind of homework were you assigned?

Do you recall what kind of trajectory was drawn. An orbit? A parabola?

Do you recall the names of any of the other students in that class - so you could ask them?

(I'm sorry - is my attitude showing?)

If you can provide more clues - I (or someone else here) will try to piece it together for you.
Meanwhile, make sure you get enough sleep tonight.

Hi. thanks for the response.
yes. it was projectile motion, so it was a parabola. and it was general physics, regents level. I don't remember the homeworks assigned, but it didn't deviate from the standard pattern, I'm sure of it.
I do remember many names of classmates, but I'm not going to contact them about it, because we lost touch and wasn't really good enough friends with them anyway. besides, it would probably seem kind of crazy. I was 18 at the time of the class. I'm 36 right now.
as for clues, best I can come up with is he was describing the equation for the y position, being v0t - 1/2at^2, because 1/2 is in this equation, and he was marking off points.

I never learned anything in physics class. Just open up a textbook. The university physics textbooks are amazing. They'll tell you everything you need to know

Maybe, the professor was solving for the amount of time the projectile spends above half its vertical distance and the time it spends half below its vertical distance. That’s a cool problem. He was probably talking about half the vertical distance in relation to something.

Last edited:
Your initial description sounds more like a description of Zeno's paradox. This is sometimes used as a way of introducing ideas for which calculus is the required tool. Alas, 18 years is a long time to try and remember something, so we are speculating on a memory which may not be too representative of the actual event.

Haborix said:
Your initial description sounds more like a description of Zeno's paradox. This is sometimes used as a way of introducing ideas for which calculus is the required tool. Alas, 18 years is a long time to try and remember something, so we are speculating on a memory which may not be too representative of the actual event.
but why would he bring up zeno's paradox. it doesn't have anything to do with physics, right?

X53 said:
I was 18 at the time of the class. I'm 36 right now.
Ahhh... I though you were cramming for an exam.
X53 said:
... best I can come up with is he was describing the equation for the y position, being v0t - 1/2at^2, because 1/2 is in this equation, and he was marking off points.
The 1/2 at^2 was the first thing I thought of.

.Scott said:
Ahhh... I though you were cramming for an exam.
The 1/2 at^2 was the first thing I thought of.
but how could one account for what he was doing in regards to this? what was he demonstrating?

Last edited by a moderator:
X53 said:
but how could one account for what he was doing in regards to this? what was he demonstrating?
He might have been discussing how the vertical velocity changes as you move from the climbing segment to the descending segment... perhaps as a lead-in to computing the location of the peak point in the trajectory.

Likes russ_watters
Perhaps he's just using a trick to draw a parabola...

Initially the projectile moves a distance Y vertically in time T. The next Y is covered in T/2, the next T/4.

CWatters said:
Perhaps he's just using a trick to draw a parabola...

Initially the projectile moves a distance Y vertically in time T. The next Y is covered in T/2, the next T/4.
oh, now this is very interesting. please elaborate.

Sorry, thought about this more overnight and I think I was wrong.

Related to Question regarding projectile motion

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. This type of motion follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The main factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape of the object can also have an impact.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (V²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is reached when the angle of launch is 90 degrees. As the angle decreases, the maximum height also decreases. When the angle is 0 degrees, the object will travel horizontally and have no vertical motion.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object, causing it to travel a shorter distance and have a shorter range. This can also affect the shape of the trajectory, making it less symmetrical and more curved.