Question regarding counting in discrete mathematics

If so, what do you think about the answer to b)?In summary, there are 175 functions in set F where (f, α) is an element of R. There are 350 functions in set F where (f, α) or (f, β) is an element of R. There are 240 functions in set F where both (f, α) and (f, β) are elements of R.
KevinD6

Homework Statement

Let A = {1, 2, 3, 4} and let F be the set of all functions from A to A. Let R be the relation on F defined by:

For all functions f, g that are elements of F, (f, g) are only elements of R if and only if f(i) = g(i) for some i that is an element of A.

Let the functions α, β be elements of F, defined by α(i) = 1 and β(i) = 2, where i is an element of A.

a) How many functions f that are elements of F are there so that (f, α) is an element of R?
b) How many functions f that are elements of F are there so that (f, α) or (f, β) is an element of R?
c) How many functions f that are elements of F are there so that (f, α) and (f, β) is an element of R?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The one I'm having the most trouble with is b), but I use some numbers from part a so I just wanted to double check that.

To solve a, all I did was take the total number of functions from set A to A, which is 4^4 (each element has four choices as an output), and subtract that by the number of functions that do not output A, so 3^4. I get 175 functions that have some f(i) = 1.

For part B, so far I have figured out that I need to use the union equation that is used in statistics:
P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(AB)
However, I'm missing some method to solve for P(AB). So far, I have P(A U B) = 175 * 2 - P(AB), since the number of functions that output 1 is the same as the number of functions that output 2. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Also, I solved part c by subtracting the number of functions that don't output 1 or 2 from the number of total functions, so 4^4 - 2^4 (since all four inputs can't map to 1 or 2, they can only map to 3 or 4).

Physics news on Phys.org
if i understand this correctly, it is a(i)=1 for every i and b(i)=2 for every i also. So there can be none functions that satisfy both conditions so P(AB)=0.

Hmm, that's what I thought at first too, but it seems that I was misinterpreting it the first time, I think it's saying how many ways can f(i) have some mapping to 1 and two, for example, f(1) = 1 and f(2) = 2, f(3) and f(4) can be whatever, but when I used that number, it didn't work. If I use 0 in my P(A U B) equation, it comes out as 350, which is more than my total amount of functions, which also doesn't make sense.

So yeah, my answer for c) is also wrong.

Ok i see so for B) you have to find the functions that have at least one 1 and at least one 2 as output which will be P(AB). 2^4 is the number of functions that don't have neither 1 neither 2 as output so it should be P(AB)=4^4-2^4?

Your answer for c seems correct to me, it is P(A∩B)=P(AB)

Ok well this is very confusing (darn). After some overall thinking i think the answer to b) is actually 4^4-2^4 (because P(A∪B)=4^4-P(not (A∪B)) and P(not (A∪B))=P((notA)∩(notB)) by Demoivre's identity.

So the answer to c) is afterall P(A∩B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A∪B)=...

Delta² said:
Ok i see so for B) you have to find the functions that have at least one 1 and at least one 2 as output which will be P(AB). 2^4 is the number of functions that don't have neither 1 neither 2 as output so it should be P(AB)=4^4-2^4?

Your answer for c seems correct to me, it is P(A∩B)=P(AB)
I think you mean "at least one 1 or at least one 2", but I agree with 44-24.
c is the "and" case.

haruspex said:
I think you mean "at least one 1 or at least one 2", but I agree with 44-24.
c is the "and" case.
So you agree that the answer for b) is P(A∪B)=4^4-2^4. ?

Delta² said:
So you agree that the answer for b) is P(A∪B)=4^4-2^4. ?
Yes. Rereading your post, maybe you meant that ("and") as a step on the way to the answer.

Related to Question regarding counting in discrete mathematics

1. How is counting used in discrete mathematics?

Counting is an important concept in discrete mathematics as it allows us to determine the number of elements in a set or the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario. It is also used in combinatorics to study the arrangement and selection of objects.

2. What is the difference between counting in discrete mathematics and counting in continuous mathematics?

Counting in discrete mathematics deals with counting elements or objects that are distinct and separate, while counting in continuous mathematics deals with counting quantities that can take on any value within a range. Discrete mathematics is often applied in computer science and information technology, while continuous mathematics is used in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How do you represent counting in discrete mathematics?

In discrete mathematics, counting is often represented using the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...), which are used to label and quantify elements in a set. Other representations may include using tally marks, tree diagrams, or mathematical notation such as factorial (!) and combination (nCr) formulas.

4. What are some real-world applications of counting in discrete mathematics?

Counting in discrete mathematics has various real-world applications, such as in cryptography, where counting the number of possible combinations of a password is important for security. It is also used in coding theory to determine the number of valid error-correcting codes. Other applications include analyzing the complexity of algorithms and predicting the probability of outcomes in games of chance.

5. What are some common techniques for counting in discrete mathematics?

There are several techniques for counting in discrete mathematics, including the multiplication principle, addition principle, and inclusion-exclusion principle. Combinatorial techniques such as permutations, combinations, and partitions are also commonly used. In some cases, counting can also be done using generating functions or recurrence relations.