Question on problem solving approach involving work done

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the goal is to determine the potential energy of an added electron and proton in a 2D space, using the equation U = q * V. The individual attempts to solve the problem by defining the left proton as the existing charge and using the equation K = 1 / (4 * pi * epsilon0 ) to calculate the potential for the added electron and proton. However, when attempting to sum the potential energies, the result does not match the given answer. The individual seeks guidance on where their approach went wrong and eventually solves the problem.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Untitled 4.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that U = q * V, so my attempted approach will rely on that method

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if people could help me solve the problem and help me figure out why B is the correct answer and what the pitfall in my problem solving process is.

I define the left proton to me my existing proton that I placed into my 2d space. I then do work to bring an electron and proton.

OK fine.

I define K to be
K = 1 / (4 * pi * epsilon0 )

The potential for the added electron = k * elementary charge / a, with a positive elementary charge due to the fact that the potential references the charge of the initial proton that I placed.

Likewise, the potential for the added proton = k * elementary charge / (2a).

I then multiply the potentials for the proton and the added electron by (-elementary charge) and (-elementary charge) by the equation U = q * V to get the potential energy for the each thing that I brought in.

Thus the potential energy of the added electron = - k * elementary charge^2 / a
and the potential energy of the added proton = k * e^2 / (2a).

Summing them gives me the net potential energy as equalling -k * elementary charge^2 / (2a), which does not equal the answer provided by B.

Could anyone please be kind to guide me into understanding why this approach is incorrect and how the problem could be solved instead?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The second proton experiences fields from two charges when it is moved in.

Thanks for the help! I was able to solve it!

Likes NascentOxygen

Related to Question on problem solving approach involving work done

What is the problem solving approach involving work done?

The problem solving approach involving work done is a method used to solve a problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. It involves identifying the problem, analyzing the root cause, developing a plan, and implementing solutions.

What are the steps involved in the problem solving approach?

The steps involved in the problem solving approach are: identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing the root cause, brainstorming solutions, evaluating and selecting the best solution, and implementing the solution.

How can I improve my problem solving skills?

To improve problem solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and develop a systematic approach. This can include breaking down problems into smaller parts, considering multiple perspectives, and seeking input from others.

How can I apply the problem solving approach to real-life situations?

The problem solving approach can be applied to real-life situations by following the steps and adapting them to the specific problem at hand. It can also be helpful to seek input from others and think outside the box when brainstorming solutions.

What are some common challenges when using the problem solving approach?

Some common challenges when using the problem solving approach include getting stuck in one step, not considering all possible solutions, and not implementing the chosen solution effectively. It is important to be flexible and willing to adapt the approach as needed.